How to Apply
The department does not have paper applications - all applications are submitted online.
DO NOT MAIL ANY DOCUMENTS TO THE DEPARTMENT OR THE UNIVERSITY. WE WILL NOT USE ANY PAPER DOCUMENTS WHEN CONSIDERING YOUR APPLICATION.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING OCTOBER 1ST. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 15th (for both masters & PhD). The application system will close at midnight E.S.T. on December 15. You will not be able to submit any information or supporting materials after this time.
The application fee is $80.
Follow this link to information about applying
and to fill out an online application:
Any technical issues with the ApplyYourself Application should be addressed to
Technical Support on the ApplyYourself application system and not with the
Graduate Anthropology Department.
Following are the required components of the application:
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts* (scan & upload unofficial version)
- Three letters of recommendation (online submission)
- A personal statement (1,000 words maximum)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores** OR Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for international students who are not native English speakers (unless they have a post-secondary degree at an American college or University)
- Writing samples are NOT required, but if submitted should be less than 25 pages. Writing samples may be submitted on-line. See the Resume/CV section for instructions.
* You can scan an unofficial copy of your transcript after each school entry on the Academic Background section. This will help us process your application right away since all materials will be in one place and can be viewed together. If you are offered admission, you will be asked to send an official copy so that we can verify your information. The offer will not be released until the official copy of your transcript has been received and verified.
**The GRE or TOEFL Exam is required for all applicants, except if you are currently enrolled in or have already graduated from another graduate degree program. There is no minimum GRE or TOEFL score requirement. The Institution Code for the University of Pennsylvania is 2926. There is no department/major field code. Please arrange to take your exam by a date that will guarantee that your scores will be forwarded to the University of Pennsylvania by the December 15th deadline.
The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Web link is: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/GAS/
The SAS Application Waiver is located here: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/GAS/Payment.pdf
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Pennsylvania does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status in the administration of its admissions, financial aid, educational or athletic programs, or other University-administered programs or in its employment practices. Questions or complaints regarding this policy should be directed to the Executive Director of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs, Sansom Place East, 3600 Chestnut Street, Suite 228, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6106; or (215) 898-6993 (Voice) or (215) 898-7803 (TDD).