Resources for students and faculty
Purchasing Miscellaneous Items
If you find it necessary to make a purchase yourself, the following rules apply:
- Receipts. Original receipts, such as credit card receipts or invoices marked as paid in full, are required.
- Sales tax. Accounts Payable WILL NOT reimburse sales tax on purchases made by Penn employees.
- Payments made by personal check. The original, canceled check is required for reimbursement.
- Petty Cash. Any non-alcohol reimbursement requests under $50 may be made via the department petty cash fund.
- Computer purchases: Computers MUST be purchased via University purchase order or Computer Connection requisition.
- Computer Connection and Bookstore purchases:
Purchases from these vendors MUST be made via either Computer Connection
or Bookstore requisition or University purchase order.
- Professional membership and journal subscription renewals and book purchases. These payments can usually be made directly by the business office using the University Mastercard.
- Office supplies: These purchases should be made by the business office via University purchase order.
Payments to Consultants/Independent Contractors: THESE PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE BY THE BUSINESS OFFICE. PENN EMPLOYEES SHOULD NEVER PAY THE CONSULTANT DIRECTLY AND THEN REQUEST REIMBURSEMENT. For payments to US citizens, the following is required from the payee: an ORIGINAL Independent Contractor Determination and Certification form, a W-9 form, and an invoice. For payments to foreign nationals for services performed in their home country, the following is required: an ORIGINAL Certification of Foreign Source Income Form and an invoice.