Piazza has been integrated into Canvas for courses taught in the School of Arts & Sciences. It is an external tool. Here are instructions for adding Piazza to your Canvas site.
1. In your Canvas site, go to the Assignments area. (The link is in the Course Navigation Menu in the left sidebar.)
2. Click on "Add Assignment to" in the right sidebar. (In the process, you will choose an Assignment Group to which you're adding the discussion.)
3. A form will appear. Provide a name, like “Piazza”. Then click the "More options" button.
4. You can now provide instructions (if any), grading points (if any), and a due date (if any).
5. Choose a Grading Type. You need to select something other than "Not Graded." This is true even if you don't plan to grade student work in Piazza. If you are not grading Piazza, then your should probably add your Piazza forums in the Modules rather than in Assignments. See below.
6. For Submission Type, choose "External Tool."
7. When you choose "External Tool", a blank will appear for "External Tool URL". Click in the blank.
8. A dialog box will appear, titled "Configure External Tool". Click “Piazza”. Then click "Select".
9. Click the "Update Assignment" button to save your work.
10. You'll then see the Piazza you created. Click on the link.
12. You’ll find a form, “Create your class on Piazza,” with most of the fields already filled in. Modify it, if you wish.
13. Estimate your enrollment and click the “Create Class” button.
13. Piazza will display a new page with a “Confirm Enrollment” and a “My Account” area. If you don’t already have an account with Piazza, the “My Account” area will invite you to choose and confirm a Piazza password. (You only need this password if you plan to access Piazza directly, outside of Canvas.)
14. Click “Continue”.
15. Your Piazza is ready to use.
1. Go to the Modules area.
2. Click the + icon in a module’s title area to add a new item to the module.
3. In the “Add” menu, choose “External Tool.
4. When you do this, a list of external tools appears. Choose “Piazza”.
5. Click the “Add Item” button.
6. The Piazza tool will appear. Click on it to configure it.
7. You’ll find a form, “Create your class on Piazza,” with most of the fields already filled in. Modify it, if you wish.
8. Estimate your enrollment and click the “Create Class” button.
9. Piazza will display a new page with a “Confirm Enrollment” and a “My Account” area. If you don’t already have an account with Piazza, the “My Account” area will ask you to choose and confirm a Piazza password. (You only need this if you plan to access Piazza directly, outside of Canvas.)
10. Click “Continue”.
13. Your Piazza is ready to use.
We recommend adding a link to Piazza from a prominent page (e.g., the front page) or relevant page (e.g., a page with related content). Because Canvas does not allow users to create navigation menu buttons, linking is the most direct way for users to access Piazza
1. Go to the page where you would like to add the link.
2. Click on "Edit this page."
3. Place the cursor in the spot where you would like the link to go in the Rich Content Editor (the text-box in the center of the page) and click.
4. Under Page Tools > Links, click Assignments (or Modules, if you created Piazza in a Module).
5. In the drop-down menu, click on the name of the assignment or the module. It will appear in the Rich Content Editor in the spot where you placed your cursor.
6. Click on Save Changes.
If you need help with Canvas, contact our team at email@example.com. We'll be glad to assist.