What is ?
is a suite of email and collaboration tools customized especially for Penn students. It is based on the popular GMail and Google Apps services that many students already use. With your account will be based on your SAS email address (e.g. email@example.com). consists of two main components:
- This is the familiar Gmail service, but without advertising and directly linked to your SAS email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). When you sign up for , all mail sent to your SAS address will be delivered to your GMail@SAS account; when you send mail it will come from your @sas address. GMail@SAS can be accessed through a web browser, a mobile device or mail client program such as Thunderbird, Outlook or Apple Mail.
- GoogleApps@SAS This is the popular Google Apps suite, including Google Calender, Docs, Sites, Groups, and Contacts. Since accounts are based on SAS email addresses, it will be easy to collaborate with other SAS students through GoogleApps-at-SAS.
Why should I want to use ?
Even if you already have a regular GMail account, offers several advantages:
- Your account name will be based on your SAS email address. Your account will be automatically configured to send mail from your SAS address. You can easily share docs and other Google resources with classmates; if you know their SAS email address, you know their name.
- You can keep your school and personal email accounts separate, but you can easily link your personal and accounts if you choose to do so. With linked accounts, you log in once and can easily switch between your accounts.
- Penn’s agreement with Google provides strong assurances for the security and privacy of email accounts.
Is a account required?
No; is optional. You can choose to use either GMail@SAS or GoogleApps@SAS or both. For example, you may want to use GoogleApps@SAS to facilitiate collaboration with classmates, but have your SAS email routed to another account you already have.
Who is eligible for a account?
All SAS graduate and undergraduate students who are actively enrolled in SAS are eligible to use . Faculty and staff are not eligible at this time.
Will people at Google have access to my email, documents and other personal information?
Google is not allowed to exhibit advertising to active Penn students. Contractually, Google does not receive any ownership of stored data. Google has agreed to protect the confidentiality of Penn's private information with the same standard of care in which they protect their own private corporate information.
What will happen to my account when I graduate?
Your account or email forwarder will not expire. We will be in contact with you regarding any alumni updates and options that become available in the future.
How do I log-in?
Go to gmail.com. Make sure to login using your full SAS email address as your username and with your Google@SAS password.
How do I change my password?
You can change your password at https://emailapps.sas.upenn.edu/configure/provision.php. This works even if you don't remember your current password. You will need to log in with your Pennkey user name and Pennkey password.
How do I change how my name appears?
You can easily change how your name appears in your Google@SAS account by going to https://emailapps.sas.upenn.edu/configure/provision.php
I already have a personal Google account. How can I manage two or more accounts and send as my SAS address?
You can be simultaneously signed in to both a account and personal Google account, then switch between the two accounts. See Google documentation on Using Multiple Accounts for details. To send as your SAS address from your personal Google account you can click here.
How do I use with a mail program such as Apple Mail or Thunderbird?
You can use IMAP (recommended) or POP to access your email.
Instructions for Thunderbird can be found here.
Instructions for Apple Mail can be found here.
Other mail client instructions found here:See details about how to configure an email client using IMAP
See details about how to configure an email client using POP
Remember to follow the instructions for Google Apps users, which includes using the full email address (e.g., email@example.com) as the user name, and the password you selected for .
How do I use on a mobile phone?
For Blackberry users, to configure your account on your device you will want to:
- Go to Email Setup and select add an account, select Gmail.
- Enter your SAS address but enter an incorrect password, this will allow the device to provide you with the option for manual configuration.
- When the first attempt fails click on the link that says 'I will provide the settings for the account,' select IMAP/POP, enter your correct password, enter the server imap.googlemail.com, and your Username is your full SAS email address. Click Save and your account will be created on the device.
How do I use Google chat with a chat program such as Adium/iChat (Mac OS) or Pidgin (Windows)?
You can use Google chat with any one of the University supported chat programs:
Adium/iChat for Mac OS
- If you have no other chat accounts, select Google Talk from the list of account types when you open the program. Otherwise, go to the Adium/iChat menu, select Preferences, Account, and click the plus sign at the bottom left in order to choose the account type.
- Fill in your full email address for the GTalk ID or Account name (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and your email password.
- Click Done and you should be successfully connected.
Pidgin for Windows
- If you have no other chat accounts, click Add when you first open the program and select XMPP from the list of account types. Otherwise, click Accounts, Manage Accounts, and Add in order to choose the account type.
- Fill in just the beginning portion of your email address for the user name (e.g. bfranklin for email@example.com) and your email password.
- Next to Domain, fill in sas.upenn.edu
- Under the Advanced tab, fill in talk.google.com next to Connected Server.
- Click Add and you should be successfully connected.
How do I share documents, calendars and other resources with other users?
You can share resources by using the same general process for sharing resources in ordinary Google accounts. In the "sharing" box, just start typing the name or SAS email address of the person with whom you want share. You'll see that as you are typing, a list of account holders will appear. Select your intended person from the list of available choices. Please note that most SAS faculty and staff do NOT have accounts; for these people, you'll usually need to share to their personal Google account (see below)
Can I share documents, calendars and other resources with Google users who are not part of the system?
Yes, you can share your docs, calendars or other resources with any valid Google account. Just enter their Google account in the list of people with whom you want to share.
How can I get help with ?
Google has lots of great help available. Just click the little gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, right next to your user name. Then select "Help" from the drop-down menu.
If you can't find an answer in the Google docs, or if your question concerns the status of your account, please use the SAS student email help form.