Configuring Eudora 6.2.3 for Macintosh OS X for Access to Facstaff.SAS
Steps to take before proceeding:
- You must create a new profile if you are using an existing email client. Editing an existing account profile may cause problems and is not recommended.
For Directions on Configuring Eudora, please click on the appropriate link below:
- Launch Eudora.
- Select "Settings" from the Special dropdown menu. The Settings menu appears.
- Scroll down and Click the Getting Started icon to display the settings for this option.
- In the Checking mail section: Ensure your username for facstaff.sas is entered correctly.
- Set Mail Server in Checking Mail section to facstaff.sas.upenn.edu.
- In the Sending Mail section, enter your first and last names in the Real Name section.
- Enter facstaff.sas.upenn.edu as the SMTP server.
- Enter your email address in the form of email@example.com (using your actual username, of course).
- Go to the Checking Mail category and select the IMAP protocol..
- Ensure that the IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix field is blank.
- Go to the SSL category and select the Personality you use with facstaff.sas. If only one personality (likely named "Dominant") is present, select it.
- Set SSL for IMAP to "Required. Alternate Port."
- Set SSL for SMTP to "Required (TLS) ". If there is a choice for the type of Standard Port Configuration, make sure it is set to "TLS 1.0 (Cyrus)".
- Turn on SMTP authentication. Go to the Personalities category and select the Personality you use with facstaff.sas. If only one personality (likely named "Dominant") is present, select it. In the Sending Mail section, ensure that Allow Authorization is checked.
- Save your settings by clicking OK.
- Close and relaunch Eudora to ensure that settings take effect.
- Upon launching Eudora you may be prompted to choose a mailbox for your deleted messages and junk messages. Select an appopriate mailbox for each, or create a new mailbox for each.
- Try to send yourself a test message and you will be be prompted to accept facstaff.sas's SMTP certificate. Accept the certificate. Then, when you try again, the message should go through. You will have to go through the same steps for receiving messages.
- Select "Settings..." from the Special menu.
- In the left pane, click the Hosts icon.
- Type the following in the "Ph/LDAP Server:" field exactly as shown: ldap://directory.upenn.edu/dc=upenn,dc=edu?displayname,status,sn,givenname,mail
Note: there are no space characters in the text; some text will disappear as you near the end of the field -- this is normal.
- Click OK.
- To test the configuration, select Directory Services from the Window menu.
- Type your last name in the Enter Query field.
- Click Lookup. If the query is successful, you have configured the Penn Directory properly.
SAS faculty and staff can find their provider here.