Configuring Mozilla Thunderbird for Access to the Facstaff.sas Mail Server
These directions are for Mac OSX and Windows XP clients.
Steps to take before proceeding:
- You must create a new profile if you are using an existing email client. Editing an existing account profile may cause problems and is not recommended.
- Need to download Thunderbird? Click here.
Adding your account:
- Open Thunderbird. If the Account Wizard - New Account Setup window automatically pops open, click Cancel.
- If prompted with: Are you sure you want to exit the Account wizard? Press the Enter/Return key.
- Click on Tools, select Account Settings, and click on Add Account.
- Make sure Email account is selected and press the Enter/Return key.
- Type in your first name and last name in the Your Name field.
- Type in your email address in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org in the Email Address field and press the Enter/Return key.
- Select IMAP.
- For the incoming server, enter: facstaff.sas.upenn.edu. Click Next and ensure that your Incoming User Name is correct.
- Fill in the Account Name field with whatever you would like to name your account, or leave it as email@example.com and click Next.
- Ensure that your information is entered correctly and click Finish.
- If you are prompted to enter your password to access your email account, click Cancel.
Configuring your account:
- Click on Tools and select Account Settings.
- Select Server Settings in the left pane under your firstname.lastname@example.org account (where username is your PennKey username.)
- Click in the box next to Use secure connection (SSL). (The port number listed next to the incoming server name will change to 993.)
- Do not check the box next to: Use Secure Authentication.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Type in INBOX for the IMAP server directory.
- Uncheck the box next to: Use IDLE command if the server supports it.
- Click OK.
- Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP) near the bottom of the list of settings in the left pane and then click the Add... button.
- Make sure facstaff.sas.upenn.edu is entered in the Server Name field.
- Turn SMTP authentication on. Make sure the box next to Use name and password is checked.
- Make sure your facstaff.sas username is entered in the User Name field.
- Under Use secure connection (SSL): select TLS.
- Click OK.
Testing your account configuration:
- Make sure you can successfully receive and send email by sending yourself a test message and then checking for new mail.
- If you have problems, please contact your local computing support provider (LSP).
- Please see here to find out who that is.
To set up Mozilla Thunderbird to use the Penn Directory, please see this page.