Special Steps for Notfylink Users During and After Meeting Maker Upgrade - Blackberry Devices
SAS faculty and staff who use the SAS Notifylink server (websync.sas) to sync their Meeing Maker data with their mobile device (e.g. Windows Mobile phone, iPhone, or Blackberry) should follow the instruction below to reduce the risk of problems including data duplication and/or loss. In general, attempts at syncing data should not be made during the downtime which starts at 5:00 PM Thursday 10/15/09. While the servers are offline, syncing will not be possible and attempts to sync will only fail and use up the device battery. Data should not be entered in to the device during the downtime with the aim of syncing it to MM, as steps that much be taken taken after the system is again available will wipe out the local data for any data type ( e.g. Calendar, Contacts, Tasks) which is being synced with Meeting Maker. When the system is again available, an initial data load should be conducted and then scheduled syncs can again be established.
Steps to take before the downtime begins
As of 5:00 PM, ensure that schedules sync are not being attempted:
- Open the Notifylink Program (red and white "email" icon - may be found on Home screen or in Applications or Downloads) and then from the message list menu, select Preferences > Push Settings. Change the Weekday Interval setting to None. Do the same for the Weekend Interval if you do not plan to re-establish syncing on Friday 10/16 after the systems are available by 12:00 noon. Select Save from the menu.
- Still within Notifylink Prefs, choose PIM settings and uncheck any of the boxes (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks) for the data you sync with Meeting Maker. Select Save from the menu.
- Your data will still be on the device and can be accessed during the downtime, but any changes you make to it will be lost when you take the following steps after the downtime is over.
Following the Upgrade
Following the downtime, re-establish the sync relationship and test syncing. First ensure that you have good battery and signal strength.
- Open the Notifylink Program (red and white "email" icon - may be on Home screen or in Applications or Downloads) and then from the message list menu, select Preferences > Push Settings. Change the Weekday Interval setting to whatever frequency and period you prefer. Select Save from the menu.
- Still within Notifylink Preferences, choose PIM settings. Check any of the boxes (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks) for the data you sync with Meeting Maker. Select Save from the menu.
- Still within Notifylink application, choose OTA ("over the air") Load from the message list menu and check the boxes for the data types you sync with MM and then choose Send. Note that this process will remove all PIM items on the device and replace them with items from the server.
- Leave the device alone for 10-15 minutes to give the load process time to complete. Depending on device settings, you may receive a message when the data laod has completed.
- After that time has passed, the OTA load should have completed and you should then test to see if the sync relationship has been properly re-established by entering one new test appointment on the device and another one in MM and then check 15-20 minutes later to see if the test data has been synced.
If you have any questions, please contact your Local Support Provider (LSP).