Supported Desktop Operating Systems
The table below summarizes what SAS Computing currently recommends and supports for operating systems. More details regarding some of the issues involved follow. Please also see the information regarding SAS Computing Hardware Support and Desktop Computer Purchasing.
In general, SAS Computing seeks to support the same products that are recommended by ISC.
However, especially where operating systems are concerned, SAS Computing sometimes makes recommendations and decisions regarding support that may differ from those of ISC. Please be aware that these choices are driven both by technical considerations and by the limitations of our staffing levels. We are simply not in a position to be able to support all new operating systems soon after they are released. There are also times when the minimal advantages of a new release simply do not justify expending significant staff time to provide full support, when this time could be better spent on other higher priority support activities.
Please also see our information regarding desktop security.
|Windows ||Windows 8 ||Support is pending compatibility with University applications. Expected Spring 2013. ||None|
|Windows 7 Professional 64-bit||Currently certified for all standard University applications and compatible with most current hardware and software.*||Full|
|Windows 7 Professional 32-bit ||Recommended only where 64-Bit causes compatibility problems.*||Full|
|Vista Business ||Use only where currently installed.||Full|
|Vista Ultimate and Home ||Not recommended. ||Minimal|
|XP Professional||Use only where currently installed.||Full|
|Mac OS||10.8 (Mountain Lion)||Not yet compatible with all standard University applications. Recommended only for new machines that require it.||Full|
|10.7 (Lion)|| Recommended for new machines that do not require 10.8||Full|
10.6 (Snow Leopard)
|Use only where currently installed.||Full|
|10.5 (Leopard)||Use only where currently installed. Migrate as soon as possible. ||Full|
Not recommended if SASC support required. (Local support available in some departments.)
*Note for Windows 7 Professional: Check with your local computing support provider (LSP) to confirm compatibility of your specific applications and peripherals and for possible work-arounds for any incompatibilities you may encounter.
Explanation of Support Status terms:
- Full - the standard support for all recommended platforms. SASC staff will have expertise for these platforms and will not limit support for them.
- Minimal - only minimal efforts will be expended by SAS Computing staff to support this product, and we make no claims to expertise in doing so. If significant effort is required to solve a problem due to the use of the non-recommended product, SASC will generally recommend that the user move to a supported platform or seek support elsewhere. Security configuration of the machine will generally be the user's responsibility, and any initial configuration may be as well.
- None - SAS Computing staff will not expend efforts to support this (typically long obsolete or very new) product.
- Not recommended because unlikely to be adopted by large percentage of those supported by SASC
- Some support is provided by some LSP's