Mac Create Shortcuts
1. In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Utilities.
2. Double-click Terminal.
3. Type the following at the terminal and then hit Enter: open /Volumes
4. This will open a new window, and you'll see a list of the drives you are connected to. Select the one with your username, click the File menu, and choose Make Alias.
5. The alias will appear in the Volumes window. You will see the name highlighted when it is created, and you can hit Enter to accept the name, or if you like you can start typing to change the name to something else. Repeat steps 4-5 if you have a department share connected.
6. Finally, click and drag the alias(es) you created to your desktop.
NOTE: In the future, you won't have to do any of these steps again, as you'll already have the shortcuts on your desktop. If you're at your office computer on campus, just double-click the shortcuts to go to your shares. If you're using a laptop or are off campus, you'll need to first make a tunnel connection and then double-click the shortcuts.