Reply-to and from address
This page contains information on how to set your pennlive reply-to and from address.
Setting your reply-to and from address has several advantages:
- You cannot write to many of Penn's mailing lists (including your class lists) if your reply-to address is not your school email address.
- It is easier for your advisor and other University contacts to identify you when mail comes from your school address.
- Your school address may look more official when writing to potential employers.
How to set your reply-to and from addresses
To set your reply-to address in Gmail1. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page, and open the 'Accounts' tab.
2. Click 'edit info' next to your email address.
3. Click 'Specify a different "reply-to" address' in the dialogue box.
4. Enter the address to which you want the recipient(s) to reply.
5. Click 'Save Changes.'
To set your from address in GmailNote: your Gmail address will still be included in your email headers in the sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients do not display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of email@example.com."
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click Settings along the top of any page, and then select the Accounts tab.
3. Click Add another email address in the Send mail as section.
4. Enter your full name in the Name field, and the email address you'd like to send messages from in the Email address field.
5. Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification to complete the process. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you'd like to add it to your Gmail account. You'll need to click the link in that message, or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail account, to complete the process. Once you've verified that you'd like to add the address to your account, you can start sending messages using your custom 'From:' address.
It's a good idea to choose to send all replies from the email address to which a message was sent.1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
3. Open the Accounts tab.
4. In the Send mail as: section, select the radio button next to Reply from the same address the message was sent to.
Once you've completed these steps, the email address to which your mail is addressed will appear in the From: field when you send replies. You can still select another address to send individual messages, too.
To set your reply-to address in Hotmail:First click options in the upper-right corner of the page, and then select "More options..." Under the header "Customize Your Mail" select "Reply-to address"
To set your from address in Hotmail:First click options in the upper-right corner of the page, and then select "More options..." Under the header "Manage Your Account" select "Receive mail from other e-mail accounts."
To set your reply-to address in Yahoo Mail:
1 Follow the Mail Options link from the Yahoo! Mail navigation bar.
2 Select General Preferences.
3 Type the email address you want replies to be sent to in the Reply to: entry field.
4 Save your new settings by selecting Save.
To set your from address in Yahoo Mail:
2. From the list on the left, click Accounts.
3. In the middle of the page, click Add or edit an account.
4. The Mail Accounts page opens. From the list of addresses, click once on the one you'd like to set as the default send-from address.
5. That account info appears in the box on the right. In that box youll see a Make Default link. Click it!
6. At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Back To The Penn Live FAQ