Changes are coming to the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network on April 27, 2017. On that date, the University will replace our current version of AirPennNet-Guest with a new system. The new system will streamline and improve registration, refresh aging infrastructure, and reduce or eliminate the administrative burden for special events. We will not need to do anything to prepare for these changes, but we will need to change the way we connect to AirPennNet-Guest.
Who Is Affected?
Anyone who uses the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network will be affected.
Please keep in mind that the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network is intended for visitors of Penn and not for Penn students, faculty, or staff. However, almost 200 people in SAS have recently used the guest network, probably for mobile devices. Members of the Penn community can get internet access faster by using the regular AirPennNet instead. For assistance in setting up your devices for AirPennNet, please use our online instructions or ask for assistance from your Local Support Provider.
What Will Change?
- The AirPennNet-Guest wireless network will act as one large wireless hotspot for campus.
- Devices on the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network will need to be registered daily, instead of weekly.
- Guests will be required to register a properly formatted e-mail address. They will no longer need a PennKey.
- All current forms of AirPennNet-Guest authentication (e.g., conference codes, Penn affiliate sponsorships, sponsored MAC, etc.) will no longer be required or accepted.
- Only basic Internet connectivity will be provided, including web browsing and secure protocols (such as standard VPN and remote desktop).
- Bandwidth usage limits are in effect providing a speed of 3 megabytes per second (up and down) per device.
- The AirPennNet-Guest wireless network will block hosts that may serve malicious content.
- In cases of abuse, repeat offenders will be blocked from using the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network.
How to Connect
The process of connecting to AirPennNet-Guest will be easy, but it will need to be repeated each day that you want access to the Internet. Here are the instructions to use, beginning on April 27.
- Select the AirPennNet-Guest network (if it's not already chosen) from the wireless networks available on your device.
- Open a web browser on your device. A form will appear.
- Review and accept the Acceptable Use Policy terms and conditions.
- Enter a valid email address.
- Click Submit.