Configure your iOS device for FacStaff e-mail
It is very helpful to have the device already connected to the AirPennNet wireless network before proceeding. AirPennNet is not mandatory, but helpful.
To configure your phone to use AirPennNet, associate your device with the AirPennNet-Help network and open Safari. Follow the directions from the resulting web-site.
Note: Accessing facstaff e-mail from a mobile device requires the use of a different incoming server, "mobile.sas.upenn.edu". Given the way IMAP e-mail works, the use of concurrent connections increases the chance of an IMAP mailbox becoming out-of-sync. Accessing facstaff with a mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) and a desktop client (Thunderbird, Apple Mail, MS Outlook) creates a concurrent access scenario. In these cases, all of the user's e-mail applications, both on the mobile device and on any computer configured to access facstaff, have to use mobile.sas.upenn.edu for their incoming IMAP server.
Requirements: A FacStaff account, Internet access, and an iOS device. ( Instructions and screen-shots taken from iOS version 5.0.1)
- 1. Open the "Settings" application and go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars".
- 2. Choose "Add Account…"
- 3. For the account type, choose "other" (at the bottom of the list ).
- 4. Choose "Add Mail Account", under the "Mail" sub-section.
- 5. Fill-in the "Name", "Address", "Password" and "Description" with the appropriate information. A description is not mandatory. If you are not sure of your FacStaff password, try logging-in to SASC webmail to test that password.
- 6. FacStaff is an IMAP server, so make sure that the "IMAP" button is checked (blue). The incoming server is "mobile.sas.upenn.edu", with the username being the part of a your e-mail address before the "@" symbol. The outgoing server is "facstaff.sas.upenn.edu" with the same username and password. Press "Next" when finished.
- 7. Make sure the "Mail" slider is "ON". Storing "Notes" is optional. If this setting is enabled, all notes created on the iOS device will be sent-to and stored in your FacStaff account. Press "Save".
That's it! Select the new account by pressing it's description among the list of accounts. Depending on the amount of mail in your facstaff account, it could take a few moments for the inbox to be synchronized.
Now, go to each computer that is configured to access facstaff via Thunderbird, Apple Mail or MS Outlook and change the incoming server to "mobile.sas.upenn.edu". This has to be done on every computer that uses an e-mail client program. If webmail is the only method used to access e-mail, then this step need not be done.
Jason Watkins, 12/19/11