Many faculty want students to use computers for taking quizzes or tests, but also want to prevent access to the internet or other resources during the test. The Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special web browser that students can use when taking tests in Canvas. Once a test is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading; they are unable to access other web sites or programs. The Lockdown Browser is intended for use in on-campus, proctored settings.
Faculty interested in using it for their classes should review the information below and complete the form at the bottom of the page.
The Lockdown Browser can support - but not replace - the proctor's role. Proctors still need to assure that students are not using a smartphone or other device to access information, are not copying from or collaborating with each other, etc.
The Respondus Lockdown Browser can only be used for quizzes or tests delivered through Canvas. It is primarily intended to be used by students on their own computers, however it may be possible to reserve a computer lab for tests.
What faculty need to do
- Let SAS Computing know about your interest. Complete the form below and we'll follow up to guide you through the process of setting up and using the Lockdown Browser.
- Determine if it's practical to administer your test on computers. Do your students all have laptops? Does the classroom have sufficient electric outlets and wireless networking capacity? Do you need to reserve a computer lab? SAS Computing staff can help you answer these questions.
- Consider how to accommodate students who don't have a computer. Can you make a paper version of the test available as an alternative?
- Prepare the quiz or test in Canvas and configure it to require the Lockdown Browser.
- Post instructions for students on your Canvas site so they can install the Lockdown Browser and know what to expect.
- Setup a sample quiz so students can try out the Lockdown Browser prior to the actual quiz or test.
- Provide a proctor in the classroom at the time of the quiz or test
What students need to do
- Download & install the Lockdown Browser on their computers. This must be done before the day of the test or quiz. There is no cost to students; they don't need to setup any new accounts or provide any personal information.
- Mac and Windows laptops are supported. Linux, Chromebooks, iPads or Android tablets are not supported at this time.
- Complete a sample quiz in Canvas to verify that the Lockdown Browser is working correctly.
- Bring their laptop to class to take the quiz or test
Interested in using the Lockdown Browser?
Please complete this form and a member of the SAS Computing staff will follow up soon.