Application and Information
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. WE WILL AGAIN BE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS ON OCTOBER 1, 2014 FOR SPRING AND FALL, 2015.
EALC offers both a Master's Program and a Ph.D. Program. You may apply directly to either program. (It is not necessary to apply for the Master's Program before going on to the Ph.D.)
There are no minimum requirements to apply. It is expected, however, that the applicant will have at least majored as an undergraduate in the field for which he/she is applying and so would have had a minimum of six semesters of their primary East Asian language as well as some literature, history or religion courses. Some background in a second East Asian language is preferred.
The fee to apply to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is $80.00. Payments can be made by credit card, check or international postal money order written in U.S. currency and made payable to "the Trustees of the University of Pennsylania." Application deadlines are noted below. A complete application consists of:
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose. Your statement should include your career/research goals, how EALC's program can help you achieve those goals and which faculty members, if any, with whom you'd like to work.
- Three (3) Letter of Recommendation
- Copies of all college-level transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the purposes of your application. If you are admitted, however, two copies of your official transcripts must be sent before you can matriculate.
- GRE scores (not older than 5 years). Report scores to Institution Code 2926; Department Code 2601. There is no minimum score to apply.
- TOEFL or IELTS score for non-native speakers of English (not older than 2 years). Report scores to Destination Code 2926. No Department Code is necessary. There is no minimum score to apply. However, most admitted students achieve an average score of 100 or above. Applicants who have received a BA or MA degree in the United States may request a waiver of the TOEFL requirement by emailing email@example.com after submitting their application.
- Writing Sample. A writing sample is not required for any concentration other than Chinese Studies but is strongly encouraged for all applicants. It may be of any length on any topic and should be indicative of your ability to research and write on a graduate level. Please submit only papers written in English.
Application for students wishing to matriculate in Spring 2015 must submit their application no later than November 15, 2014. Files must be complete by December 10, 2014. The online application opens on Ocober 1, 2014. (The link will apear on that date.) Decisions will be made and applicants notified before December 15, 2014.
Notice: There is no funding available for Spring matriculants. If admitted, all tuition and fees for their program will be the student's responsibility.
The Fall 2015 application deadline is December 15, 2014. Only applications received by that date will be considered for funding, if admitted. Applications will be accepted as late as March 15, 2015 but will not be eligible for any fellowships or other funding. The online application opens on October 1, 2014. (The link will appear on that date.)
The EALC Department strongly advises our applicants to apply on-line. It is faster, more secure and allows the applicant to track the status of their application. Access to the on-line application will be available on October 1, 2014. (The link will appear on that date.)
If you would prefer to submit a paper application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have one sent to you. Mail the completed application and all supporting materials to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, 3401 Walnut Street, Suite 322A, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6228.