Application and Information
EALC offers both a Master's Program and a PhD Program. You may apply directly to either program. It is not necessary to apply for the Master's Program before going on to the PhD. Students in the PhD program are encouraged to apply for the MA as soon as they are eligible.
Decisions for admission are the same for domestic and international applications, and are made without regard to the applicant's need for financial support. Admitted PhD students are fully funded for 3 to 5 years, depending on educational background. There is no funding for Master's students.
There are no minimum requirements to apply. It is expected, however, that the applicant will have at least majored as an undergraduate in the field for which he/she is applying and so would have had a minimum of six semesters of their primary East Asian language as well as some literature, history or religion courses. Some background in a second East Asian language is preferred.
The fee to apply to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is $80.00. Payments can be made by credit card, check or international postal money order written in U.S. currency and made payable to "the Trustees of the University of Pennsylania." Application deadlines are noted below. A complete application consists of:
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose. Your statement should include your career/research goals, how EALC's program can help you achieve those goals and which faculty members, if any, with whom you'd like to work.
- Three (3) Letter of Recommendation. Unfortunately, letters submitted through Interfolio cannot be uploaded into the application at this time. If you wish to use Interfolio for your recommendation letters, Interfolio MUST email the letters to
- Copies of all college-level transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the purposes of your application. If you are admitted, however, two copies of your official transcripts must be sent before you can matriculate.
- GRE scores (not older than 5 years). Report scores to Institution Code 2926; a Department Code is no longer necessary. There is no minimum score to apply.The average scores of admitted students are 165/160/5.0.
- TOEFL or IELTS score for non-native speakers of English (not older than 2 years). Report scores to Destination Code 2926. No Department Code is necessary. There is no minimum score to apply. However, most admitted students achieve an average score of 100 or above on the TOEFL exam and 6.0 on the IELTS. Applicants who have received a BA or MA degree in the United States may request a waiver of the TOEFL requirement by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting their application.
- Writing Sample. A writing sample is not required for any concentration other than Chinese Studies but is strongly encouraged for all applicants. It may be of any length on any topic and should be indicative of your ability to research and write on a graduate level. Please submit only papers written in English.
Students wishing to matriculate in Spring 2017 to the MA program only must submit their application no later than November 15, 2016. Files must be complete by November 30, 2016. The online application opens on October 1, 2016 at https://www.applyweb.com/upenng/. Decisions will be made and applicants notified before December 15, 2016.
Notice: There is no funding available for Master's students. If admitted, all tuition and fees for their program will be the student's responsibility.
The Fall 2017 PhD application deadline is December 15, 2016. Students admitted to the PhD program receive full funding including tuition, fees, health insurance and a living stipend. Master's applications will be accepted as late as March 15, 2017 but are not eligible for any fellowships or other funding. The online application opens on October 1, 2016.
Applicants shoud apply on-line. It is faster, more secure and allows the applicant to track the status of their application. Access to the on-line application will be available on October 1, 2016 at https://www.applyweb.com/upenng/.