Many neighborhood residents have opened their homes to international students who attend the English Language Program. The Homestay program allows you to experience American culture in the safety and comfort of an American home while having excellent opportunities to practice English conversation. By sharing everyday life with your family, a Homestay becomes much more than just renting a room in a home. It becomes a place where you feel right at home.
Since every home is different, every Homestay is different. Some Homestay hosts include a husband, a wife, and children, some are single parents, and some are retired Americans who enjoy sharing their homes with international students. Homestay students are expected to live with their hosts as "family members." As such, you may be invited to participate in a variety of family traditions, activities, and outings. You may also be expected to keep your bedroom clean or help with shared tasks like cleaning up after a family meal.
All Homestay hosts are chosen for their hospitality and proximity to ELP. Each family must submit an extensive application and references to the Homestay Coordinator and be interviewed in their home before they can be accepted as Homestay hosts.
Due to the popularity of the Homestay program, spaces may be limited. You should apply as early as possible for the best chance of receiving one.
A non-refundable $275.00 placement fee is due at the time of application.
The Homestay rate is $30.00 per night. The Homestay fee for the first full session must be paid directly to your host family on move-in day. A full session includes the period from the move-in date to the move-out date listed on page 4 of the housing application. The approximate one-month cost is $900.00 and the approximate two month cost is $1,800.00. The Homestay fee includes:
- A comfortable, fully furnished, private bedroom
- Daily continental breakfast
- Three family-style dinners each week
- Wireless internet access
- Access to microwave, refrigerator, and laundry facilities
- Regular, relaxed conversation in English
- A rich variety of American cultural experiences
- Lifelong memories of your American family
The homestay fee is all-inclusive. There are no additional taxes, utilities, or fees. These prices are valid as of June 2013 and are subject to change June 2014.
- If you are ready to apply for a homestay, you can fill out the online Application and pay your Placement Fee in one easy step. Please note that your Application is not complete and will not be reviewed until your Placement Fee has been paid.
- If you need more information about Right at Home Homestay, please contact Lyn and Tim Newbrander at Newbrander@rightathomehomestay.com
Cancellations/Refunds: Except in cases where Homestay space is not available, the placement fee is not refundable. Once you have occupied your Homestay, there are no refunds of the first session Homestay fee.
For more information, contact:
Lyn & Tim Newbrander
435 South 45th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104