Faculty Research Funds
USE OF FACULTY RESEARCH FUNDS IN THE SCHOOL OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
A Faculty Research Fund in the School of Arts and Sciences is allocated to support the work of a productive scholar while at SAS. The conditions for the use of these resources are as follows:
- These resources may be used for any legitimate scholarly expense, whether for individual or collective endeavors. For individual efforts this may include summer research support (including salary*), travel for research, computing expenses, the purchase of durable assets, or books. Furniture may be purchased only in accordance with SAS protocol, which requires prior approval by the department chair, prior consultation with your business office, and the processing of the purchase through SAS Facilities. The holder may also use these funds to support department, program, or other activities such as colloquia or conferences, or to support start-up research costs in the recruitment of new faculty. All expenses must be documented, according to SAS guidelines and University policies, as expenses related to specific research or scholarly activities.
- All University salary, purchasing, travel, and entertainment reimbursement policies and procedures apply to the use of these resources. Specifically, all materials, supplies, and durable assets must be acquired via the University purchasing system. Original receipts for travel expenses are always required. Special exceptions can be made prior to purchase; for additional information or clarification, please contact regional business office staff or the SAS Administrative and Financial Services Office.
- Any funds unexpended in the year awarded may be carried forward for use in subsequent years, provided the faculty member remains a member of the standing faculty of the School of Arts and Sciences and is actively engaged in research.
- Any item costing at least $500, having a useful life of one year or more, and purchased with these resources will be considered a durable asset. Any item costing at least $5,000, having a useful life of one year or more, and purchased with these resources will be considered equipment. All such items will remain the property of the University of Pennsylvania/School of Arts and Sciences. Such items must be acquired via the University purchasing system.
- Resources from these funds should not normally be expended during periods when the faculty member is on leave for employment elsewhere. Any such expenditure requires prior approval of the department chair and the Dean's Office.
- Resources from these funds may be expended during periods when the faculty member is on a scholarly leave. However, if the faculty member resigns while on leave to accept a position at another institution, the School of Arts and Sciences expects the new institution to reimburse the University fully for the expenditures charged to the faculty member’s research fund during the period of leave.
- Once a faculty member has indicated his/her intention to leave SAS for another institution or it is understood by the department chair that the individual will be leaving, the research funds allocated to this individual can only be released with the approval of the cognate Associate Dean and the Vice Dean for Finance and Administration.