It *Is* Easy Being Green
- Switch to e-bills or paperless statements
- Open windows and use ceiling fans instead of the A/C
- Try a reel lawn mower instead of a gas or electric one for small yards. A 2001 Swedish study published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology argued that cutting the grass for one hour with a gasoline-powered mower creates about as much air pollution as a 100-mile car ride.
- Install rain barrels to help reduce run-off and use to water your garden and containers.
- Encourage your department to purchase 20% recycled content paper and refurbished inkjet cartridges.
- Turn off CPU’s and monitors when you leave for the night or the weekend. Even standby mode draws power.
- Use a reusable coffee mug instead of Styrofoam or paper.