International Relations Majors
Activities and Awards with Distinction
Phi Beta Kappa
College Alumni Society Award
Bruce Newsome Leadership Award
James Markley Distinguished Service Award
Edward "Ned" Shell
Director's Prize for Creativity in Thesis Research
Norman D. Palmer Prize Runner-ups
Norman D. Palmer Prize
Phi Beta Kappa (7)
Foreign Language and Area Studies Awards (FLAS) (5)
College Alumni Society Prize in International Relations (1)
Ronald Caridi Award for Scholarship (1)
College Alumni Society Undergraduate Research Award (3)
Jonathan de Jong
Ruth Marcus Kanter Research Grant (1)
Gelfman International (1)
Jonathan de Jong
Rosemary D. Mazzatenta (1)
**For IR Program Awards see the IR Awards Ceremony Program**
Public Policy and International Affairs Fellowship (1)
Korean Studies Program Undergraduate Summer Scholarship (1)
Chinese Language Program Scholarship (1)
US State Department Internships (5)
Yena Hong (Alternate)
Nnamdi Azikiew African Studies Prize (1)
Penn International Internship Program (2)
Teach for America (1)
Penn Political Review (1)
Edward (Ned) Shell, Editor in Chief
Awards and Honors (2008-9)
Recipients of external awards and honors for 2009:
- The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Fellowship: Tiffany Ng.
- Thouron Award: Dan Tavana.
- Truman Scholarship: Dan Tavana.
- Rose Award: Kyle Burr.
- Department of State Pickering Fellowship: Rafaela Zuidema.
- Penn Humanities Forum Research Fellowship: Julia Enyart.
- Amandus Johnson Prize for Swedish Studies: Janis Krelis.
- African Studies Azikiw Research Prize: Bryanna McQueen.
- Leo Rowe Prize for Undergraduate Research: Rebecca Asbereg.
- Center for the Advanced Study of India/ Penn Global Development Initiative internship grant: Cassidy Regan.
Recipients of the International Relations Program's awards and honors for 2009:
- Norman D. Palmer Prize for Best Thesis in International Relations: Elizabeth Y. Song
- Runner-Up for the Norman D. Palmer Prize: Tiffany P. Ng
- The College Alumni Society Award for International Relations: Tiffany P. Ng
- The James A. Markley Distinguished Service Award, Erik B. D. Arnetz
- The Bruce Newsome Leadership Award: Alexander C. Kwan
- The Director's Prize for Creativity in a Senior Thesis: Lindsay A. King
- The IR Program Valedictorian: Erin L. Daley
- The IR Program Valedictorian Runner-up: Elizabeth Y. Song
- Graduation Major Flagbearer: Luis E. Tipan
Awards and Honors (2007-8)
Recipients of external awards and honors for 2008:
- Trustee's Council of Penn Women Award: Arushi Sharma
- Truman scholar: Daniel Tavana
- Alexander von Humbolt Foundation German Chancellor Fellow & DAAD Research Fellowship: Abby Greenwald
Recipients of the International Relations Program's awards and honors for 2008:
- Norman D. Palmer Award: Maxwell Kosman for his thesis titled "Deceptively Different? Explaining the Gap in Affective Support Between the Czech Republic and Slovakia"
- Norman D. Palmer Award Runner-up: Kemiga Bunyasaranand for her thesis titled "Argentina’s “New Democratic Landscape”: The Role of Civil Society Organizations in Democratic Consolidation"
- Director's Prize for Exceptional Creativity in the Senior Thesis: Eszter Boda for her thesis titled "One Step Forward: The Missing Piece in Mine Action. International and National Factors Influencing the Development of Landmine Victim Assistance Since 1992"
- Director's Prize for Exceptional Creativity in the Senior Thesis Honorable Mention: Samantha Ching for her thesis titled "Persuading the Enemy: Public Diplomacy and Propaganda"
- Director's Prize for Exceptional Creativity in the Senior Thesis Honorable Mention: Charmaine Koh for her thesis titled "The Scramble for Energy: The Impact of Oil and Gas on Terrritorial Disputes"
- James Markley Distinguished Service Award: Charmaine Koh
- Bruce Newsome Leadership Award: Erik Arnetz
- College Alumni Society Award: Sidarth Shah
- Valedictorians: Melisa Chang & Sidarth Shah
- Flag Bearer: Eva Tsui