- Twelve courses with Latin American/Latino content.
- At least one credit each from the following course clusters. Pre-approved courses for each cluster are listed below, but others may be approved as cluster courses upon review by the LALS adviser.
LALS221, LALS222, LALS258, LALS260, LALS286, LALS293, LALS386, LALS390, LALS391, LALS392, LALS394, LALS395, LALS396, LALS396, LALS397, LALS397, LALS397, LALS397, LALS397, LALS398, LALS590
LALS070, LALS071, LALS133, LALS136, LALS150, LALS204, LALS233, LALS233, LALS250, LALS254, LALS303, LALS433, LALS468, LALS587
Social Science Cluster
LALS213, LALS235, LALS251, LALS270, LALS677
- At least two courses addressing the regional experience prior to 1820. These courses almost always will overlap with the cluster courses described above. Possibilities include: LALS 010, 070, 133, 178-179, 250, 254, 392, 433, 468.
- At least one course focused on the experiences of communities in the Latino diaspora. Appropriate courses include LALS 060, 136, 204, 276, 677.
- Students must meet the University's language requirement in either Portuguese or Spanish. Literature courses taken in Romance Languages will count amount the twelve content courses or the Major.
- Courses of Latin American content taken in study-abroad programs will count toward the twelve Latin American Studies Major content courses, but approval from the LALS major advisor is required. Prospective majors studying abroad are advised to save syllabi and all of their own written work for courses they hope to count toward the major. Basic language classes cannot be counted (see above).
- All LALS majors must complete a research requirement. Most often, this requirement will be completed by a student's successful completion of the LALS majors seminar, LTAM xxx, in their senior year.
- Courses to be counted toward the Major must be taken for a letter grade.
Major/Minor Declaration Form - Please note, all Majors must contact your College Advisor to make official your worksheet, fill out this form and contact our Undergraduate Advisor Rosanna Dent for an appointment.