Master of Science in Applied Geosciences application deadlines
You may apply to begin the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences (MSAG) degree during the fall or spring terms. Your application portfolio, including all transcripts, must be received by the following deadlines:
Fall 2015 admission
Application deadline: April 1, 2015
Spring 2016 admission
Application deadline: November 1, 2015
Application materials checklist
- Completed online application
- Current résumé
- Nonrefundable application fee
- Application essays, listed below
- Unofficial transcripts from each post-secondary school attended uploaded through the online application system
- Standardized test scores, if applicable (details below)
- Two letters of recommendation (details below)
Master of Science in Applied Geosciences application essays
Your application will include essays addressing four topics. Responses may be as long or as short as you feel necessary. (Please compile your responses into a single document, but keep them as separate essays.)
- Have you ever been placed on probation, dismissed or suspended from any college or university for reasons pertaining to academic integrity? If this does not apply, please write N/A in your response. If yes, please include any facts that you believe bear on the significance of this circumstance.
- Please describe how your professional and academic background has prepared you to enter the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences program at Penn.
- Describe in conceptual terms the curriculum you hope to pursue as an MSAG student.
- How do you expect to apply the expertise you would gain in the MSAG program?
Letters of recommendation
Each applicant will submit two letters of recommendation, but you may elect to submit an optional third letter. Letters should come from individuals in a position to evaluate your professional and/or academic work, such as a supervisor or professor, and who know of your desire to study geoscience at the advanced level. Recommendations may be submitted online (preferred) or by mail. For online recommendations, please follow the instructions in the Recommendations section of the online application.
Standardized test scores
Standardized test scores are not required for admission to the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences. However, you may choose to submit standardized test scores, such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), in support of your application. Request that your scores report for the GRE test be forwarded to the College of Liberal and Professional Studies, using ETS institutional code 2986.
Upon review of an applicant's file, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to request TOEFL scores.