Financing your education
It is our goal at Penn to make education accessible to talented students from the widest possible range of backgrounds. Master of Science in Applied Geosciences students are eligible for scholarships sponsored by the Earth and Environmental Science Department. These scholarships are merit based and students are encouraged to apply once they have been accepted into the program. Students are also eligible to apply for financial aid, including a variety of student loans, some of which are subsidized by the Federal government. All domestic applicants interested in their loan eligibility should complete the FASFA form after applying to the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences program. Penn’s Student Financial Services (SFS) office is available to help prospective and current students navigate the process. For more information on financing your graduate studies, visit their website for Graduate and Professional Students or contact SFS.
If you intend to complete the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences degree as a working professional, you may be able to take advantage of tuition benefits offered by your employer. If you are a full-time Penn employee, learn more about Penn’s tuition benefits package.
Opportunities for paid teaching and research assistantships are occasionally available for our students. Once you have enrolled in classes, please contact the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences Office for more information.
Earth and Environmental Science Department Scholarships for the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences
Scholarship application deadlines:
- Fall applicants: April 15 (awards announced June 1)
- Spring applicants: November 1 (awards announced November 15)
- Acceptance into the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences program
Maintain enrollment in the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences program, with a GPA of 3.5, no grade lower than a B, and no incompletes or withdrawals.
To apply for the scholarship, please:
- Complete the Master of Science in Applied Geosciences program application
- Submit the completed E&ES MSAG Scholarship application form (PDF)
- Provide the additional essays (described in scholarship application form)
- Scholarships are applied directly to tuition and fees associated with coursework. Awardees are responsible for all other expenses (books, housing, transportation, health insurance, etc.).
Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP) of Greater Philadelphia
The purpose of the Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP) of Greater Philadelphia scholarship program is to encourage women to pursue careers in the environmental field, to mentor students with an interest in the environmental field and to provide students with connections to SWEP's diverse membership for networking and career development opportunities.