To deliver a rich, interactive learning experience for students enrolled in its for-credit courses, Online Learning uses Canvas and Adobe Connect.
In Canvas, students will:
- Join your community of Penn colleagues to discuss your program, upcoming events and more.
- Join your classmates in a course site specifically designed to support an online class.
In the Adobe Connect Live Classroom, you'll:
- Attend live, synchronous classes and review sessions online
- Chat live with instructors and TAs
- Use messaging, microphones, and/or webcams to communicate with instructors and peers
Combined, these two platforms serve the University of Pennsylvania with engaging, rich learning content developed by our outstanding faculty and staff.
Below, you can watch a presentation on how to use Adobe Connect.
Adobe Connect Live Classroom
Before your first class, it's important to test your personal computer's ability to run the Adobe Connect classroom. You can do so here.
Once you've confirmed your computer can run Adobe Connect, follow these steps in advance of your first class meeting:
- Log into your Adobe Connect classroom as a guest, using your First and Last names.
- Be sure to have your headset or webcam installed on your computer in advance of class if required for your class.
- Arrive to your class meeting early to confirm your access to the classroom.
For additional help, please see this orientation guide.
The homebase for all online courses at the Universiity of Pennsylvania is Canvas. For each fully online course it offers, Online Learning collaborates with faculty to build a unique and robust course homepage within the Canvas learning management system. This course site allows students to hold class discussions in threaded forums, meet virtually through Big Blue Button video conferencing, and submit homework and take exams from the comfort of home. Canvas also offers instuctors noteable features such as the ability to digitally comment on and mark up long-form writing, create online exams with multiple question types, and keep track of student progress in the SpeedGrader gradebook.
Spring Workshops for Faculty & TAs
Wednesday, March 19th - 3624 Market Street, Suite 5W
1:00 - 2:30: Canvas Basics for Online Classes
2:30 - 3:00: Office Hours with Canvas support team/Refreshments/Break
3:00 - 4:00: Assessments in Canvas
4:00 - 5:00: Adobe Connect Basics
Tuesday, March 25th - Online workshop (webinar) in Adobe Connect
1:00 - 2:00: Adobe Connect Basics
2:00 - 3:30: Canvas Basics for Online Classes
3:30 - 4:00: Office Hours with Canvas support team/Questions
4:00 - 5:00: Assessments in Canvas
Please e-mail email@example.com to register.
Penn Arts & Sciences MOOCs
Arts & Sciences MOOCs are open at various times throughout the year.
Past and Current Offerings: