1. Students who complete their degree with a 3.5 GPA in their major are eligible to graduate with honors, provided they write a research paper. The research page here provides all the details for the paper.
2. The honors thesis is undertaken during a student's senior year and may be started if the student may reasonably expect to graduate with a 3.5 GPA in the major, even if the current major GPA is below that.
3. Honors requires a 1 cu independent study - PPE 301. Since the honors independent study is 1 cu, seniors considering part-time status should plan accordingly.
4. A student may enroll in PPE 301 in either the fall or spring of senior year. Please know that deadlines for honors thesis awards typically fall in at the beginning of April. Examples of these prizes include the Joseph Warner Yardley Prize for best thesis on political economy and the Rose Award for outstanding research achievements by undergraduates.
5. A suggested lay-out of the first couple of pages of the final thesis, which is a formal document, is available here. An alternative format is available here as well. A copy of the completed honors thesis should be emailed to ppemajor@sas and this will also be a de facto submission for consideration of publication to our student journal SPICE, unless otherwise indicated in the email.
Everyone who completes a PPE honors thesis may elect to publish it online in the PPE Honors Repository in the Penn Scholarly Commons. Bound copies are also available in the PPE Main Office in 311 Cohen. Please visit to see some of our major's excellent work!
Who is reading our theses: