Joseph E. Lowry
Joseph Lowry is an Associate Professor in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations.
Islamic law, Arabic literature, and classical Islamic thought
- Intro to the Qur'an (NELC 130)
- Intro to Islamic Law (NELC 238)
- Islamic Intellectual Tradition (NELC 437)
- Approaches to Islamic Law (NELC 638)
- Intro to Reading the Qur'an in Arabic (ARAB 333)
- Intro to Classical Islamic Texts (ARAB 436)
Joseph Lowry is a specialist in Islamic law, Arabic literature, and classical Islamic thought. He is the author, among other works, of Early Islamic Legal Theory: the Risala of Muhammad Ibn Idris al-Shafi'i (E. J. Brill, 2007) and the editor (with D. Stewart and S. Toorawa) of Law and Education in Medieval Islam: Studies in Memory of George Makdisi (E. J. W. Gibb Memorial Trust, 2005) and (with D. Stewart) of Essays in Arabic Literary Biography II: 1350-1850 (Harrasowitz, 2009).