- Careers in SAS
- SAS HR Programs
- Recruiting & Onboarding
SAS Staff Incentive Program
Ready to make a nomination? Click here to skip to submissions
Goal: The SAS Staff Incentive Program was created to encourage our talented and creative staff to tap their initiative in solving problems, achieving efficiencies and thinking creatively, and to inspire cooperation across departments and schools throughout the University.
Program: The SAS Staff Incentive is a special one-time payment awarded to selected SAS exempt and non-exempt staff for extraordinary contributions to the mission of the School. These extraordinary contributions are above and beyond the staff member's job description. For the purpose of our program, “above and beyond” reflects completed work that is beyond the scope and responsibility of the nominee’s job description/requirements. The award is intended to reward those staff members whose work is consistent with and committed to the School's objectives for excellent performance:
- Adding value. We add value to our jobs, departments, programs and the School overall by establishing administrative effectiveness and efficiency, by maintaining the highest level of knowledge in our particular field, and by collaborating and working with others to ensure best practices.
- Finding solutions to operational challenges. We embrace change and push to find innovative and imaginative solutions to difficult problems. We challenge the status quo when necessary and commit to a solution- based approach to problem solving.
- Preparing the School for tomorrow. We help build the infrastructure necessary for the School to grow and flourish in the changing world of higher education. We recruit and retain the very best staff to increase our flexibility and response to unforeseen challenges ahead.
Examples of outstanding performance which may merit an award include:
- Outstanding customer service
- Initiative and innovation in solving problems or improving service
- Accomplishments that have a particularly positive impact on the Department or the School or the University.
- Actions which result in measurable and significant cost savings
- Successful completion of special projects
All actions should demonstrate results which speak to staff core qualities at the School. These include collaboration, versatility, excellence, purpose-driven activities towards the larger vision of enhanced success of SAS, and activities which show a passion for personal and professional growth.
The program is designed to acknowledge exceptional and well-defined events from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015. This will be the focus in the selection process. An award is not meant to replicate the annual salary review process, which should continue to be used to recognize and reward an employee, via a merit increase, for performing his or her job responsibilities consistently well.
Program Administration:The SAS Staff IncentiveProgram will be administered by a committee which includes non-exempt and exempt SAS staff in good standing and a faculty member. The three award levels are Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to nominate individuals for their efforts from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015. Individual staff members may nominate themselves for their own accomplishments, and are encouraged to nominate other deserving staff within SAS. All nominations (including self-nominations) must be approved by the nominee's immediate supervisor and department manager prior to their submission. Please contact Brian Clark at email@example.com if you would like to confirm an individual's correct supervisor. A previous award recipient may be nominated again, provided the nomination is based on new activity and achievements occurring within the current program year. The committee reserves the right to verify all information with the nominee's supervisor. Nominators should feel free to share the nomination information with the nominee if you so choose.
The submitted nomination form is the only information considered in selecting the award recipients. For this reason, it is important that nominations be complete and accurate. Please provide specific examples addressing some or all of the five criteria above and provide as much detail as possible about why the person you are nominating deserves to receive an award. (You can click here to see samples of winning nominations.) This will greatly impact their chance of being selected. It is possible for more than one person to nominate someone for a particular achievement; it is also possible for one nominator to submit multiple nominations for one individual, provided each nomination focuses on a distinctly different project or accomplishment.
Eligibility for the SAS Staff Incentive Program is limited to employees who:
- have completed their introductory period
- are included in the regular salary increase program
- are NOT in performance management
- have received a performance evaluation rating of "consistently meets established goals/expectations" or higher
Qualified staff members are eligible for an award regardless of any recent salary adjustments or promotions. Award recipients must be employed in SAS at the time of the award/payment.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Staff Incentive Program committee. Nominations may be submitted at any time but must be received no later than midnight July 15, 2015 in order to be considered. Nominations selected for a Gold award may be posted on the SAS HR website as an example of a successful nomination; all names will be redacted.
Team Nominations: Criteria for a team win are the same as for an individual award winner
Team Nomination Guidelines: A nominee is eligible to be awarded one individual Incentive award as well as a team award provided the individual and team nominations are related to separate and distinct actions.
Team Awards: The team award will be a maximum of $3,000. A team may have unlimited members, and the team members will divide the award evenly among its members; for example, a winning team of three individuals will each receive $1,000.
Award Timing: Payments are scheduled to be made each fall. Award recipients will be announced School-wide.
Here's what you need to do...
- A well-prepared nomination will greatly impact your nominee's chances of being selected for an award. We have provided some examples of successful nominations from past years. You can use these examples to help guide your efforts to compose a winning nomination.Download a PDF Document with examples of effective nominations
- Click here to download the nomination template. Open this template in Microsoft Word (or your preferred word processing program). When you save the document, please include the name of the nominee in the file name. For example, if you are nominating Jane Smith, save the file as jane smith nomination.doc
- Once you have finished writing the nomination and saved it using the nominee’s name, go to https://www.sas.upenn.edu/sashr/content/sas-staff-incentive-program to upload your form, and complete the nomination process. Be sure to save a copy for your records.