Penn Summer Online
Already have plans for the summer? Heading to the beach or a great internship? Arts & Sciences Online Learning provides you with access to Penn classes wherever you are. Courses are offered in a number of disciplines and are designed to give you the flexibility you need to challenge yourself academically and still have the summer experience you wish to have.
Even though these classes are delivered at a distance, they provide students with a highly interactive learning experience through technologies such as Canvas course sites and Adobe Connect virtual classrooms. These online courses are for credit and can count towards degree requirements.
Where can I find the current online course offerings?
You can see all current online, for-credit course offerings and access the course-guide descriptions on our Online Courses page.
If the course is online, then why are there scheduled meetings?
All online courses contain both live, professor-led class sessions and non-live, course-site activities. The scheduled meetings for an online course are when students log in to the Adobe Connect Pro classroom and attend class. Throughout the duration of the course, all class sessions are recorded so that students can refer to class discussions while writing blogs, discussion forum posts and other course activities.
What are the technical requirements for an online course?
There are several things you need to complete an online course successfully. We recommend all software, particularly browsers, be up to date before starting. Students may also be required to have a webcam and headset microphone, depending on the class.
- We recommend a minimum screen size of 1024x600, which is the average size of a netbook.
- We also recommend an internet connection no slower than a 512 Kbps download speed.
- Windows XP SP3–Windows 8 are supported. Mac OS X 10.6–10.9 are supported. ChromeOS is supported. iOS 5 and new and Android 2.3 and newer are supported.
- The following browsers are supported:
- Internet Explorer 9 and 10
- Chrome 29 and 30
- Safari 5 and 6
- Firefox 23 and 24
- Flash 10 and 11 (if you want to use the audio/video recording or viewing feature or upload files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser 4.0
For Adobe Connect:
- For the best possible classroom experience, students are recommended to use a headset with a microphone. We recommend the Logitech ClearChat USB headset for best results.
- We recommend a wired broadband internet connection with no slower than a 512 Kbps download speed. Cellular connections (4G, CLEAR, etc.) may not be fast or stable enough for a smooth class experience. Use at your own risk
- We recommend Firefox 24 for maximum compatibility and stability.
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 are supported. Mac OS X 10.5–10.9 are supported. Ubuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 12.04, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and OpenSuSE 11.3 are also supported.
- There are mobile Adobe Connect apps for iOS and Android.
For more information, see the official Adobe Connect tech specs page.
If you have specific questions about the technical requirements for SAS Online Learning courses, contact Online Learning Technical Support.
How do I access an online course?
Before the start of the course, a member of the online team will email you with login information. If you have any further questions, please contact Online-Learning@sas.upenn.edu. You will also be enrolled in the Canvas course site after enrolling in the course; course sites for online classes are generally available a few days before the start of the term.