As an international student, you can pursue outstanding educational opportunities at Penn and enjoy cultural immersion in the US. We offer a wide range of credit and non-credit programs that are geared towards international students. Whether you are in high school or studying at a university level, our programs allow you to experience life within the Ivy League and immerse yourself in the language and activities of a vibrant American city.
Please note, if you are an international student already enrolled at an accredited US college or university for the fall semester, please refer to the information for visiting undergraduates.
Penn's English Language Programs help you refine and develop your English language skills while immersing yourself in US culture. Whether you want to learn English for professional, academic or personal gain, there are several non-credit options for you to consider during the summer.
Taking courses through Penn Summer High School programs as an international high school student can provide you with important preparation for and exposure to college-level academics, especially if you want to study in the US.
- International high school students shouldconsult the US Embassy or consulate in their country to learn which visa is appropriate. Previous participants have used a visitor visa (B-1, B-2 or visa waiver) to enroll.
- If you plan to attend Penn Summer Global Institute, the program team will provide visa directions to you once you enroll.
- Learn more about visa information for the English Language Programs.
English language requirements
- International high school students: The minimum score accepted is typically 100iBt. Students who attend a high school offering an English-medium education may substitute their PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores for their TOEFL scores.
- Penn Summer Global Institute: The minimum TOEFL score is 100iBt/IETLS: 7.
- Learn more about English language requirements for the English Language Programs.