Penn Summer Global Institute
An International Undergraduate Experience
Penn Summer Global Institute is a comprehensive academic experience for top undergraduates from around the world with high English proficiency. As a pre-arranged package, undergraduates spend 6 weeks as visiting students, and experience everything Penn has to offer: earning Ivy League credits alongside other Penn students, living and dining on campus, and socializing with other Penn students from the U.S. and abroad. The Penn Summer Global Institute experience allows students to choose packaged courses that meet their academic path. Along with classes, students will benefit from Penn's range of exceptional resources, including academic advising, and get exposure to the cultural and social features of living on campus in Philadelphia. And while visiting, students can take advantage of Philadelphia's close proximity to other major cities on the east coast.
- Two (2) undergraduate courses that earn students transferrable undergraduate credits
- Courses taught by top faculty in small discussion-based classes, and special faculty lectures
- Access to all campus resources and facilities, including computing network, libraries, learning resource center, tutoring center, and more
- Insider tour of faculty labs and research facilities
- Academic advising and support
- Student orientation
Penn Summer Global Institute Social Opportunities
- Access to Penn dining services
- On-campus housing for up to 6 weeks
- Weekday evening activities, including:
- Special tour of the Penn Museum
- Penn's campus architecture tour
- City of Philadelphia walking tour
- Weekend activities and bus trips to New York City, Washington DC, New Jersey Beaches, Philadelphia Art Museums, and other cultural sites
- Opportunity to experience Philadelphia, one of the most historic cities in the U.S.
- Convenient to other major cities nearby: Approximately 2 hours to New York City, 3 hours to Washington, D.C., and 5 hours to Boston
Trouble viewing the video? Click here.
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2015
- Term Dates: July 1 - August 7, 2015
2015 Tuition: $10,500
2015 Tuition with Wharton courses: $12,290
Penn Summer Global Institute tuition includes:
- 2 courses
- Housing for the length of the program (shared bedroom)
- Student Meal Plan
- Full day student orientation on July 1, 2015
- Weekly extracurricular actives
- Access to student academic advisor once admitted
2015 Courses and Tracks
Choose an academic track to further your current course of study, and to explore new ideas. Students will choose a track upon admission to the program, and are welcome to make changes to courses upon arrival.
Art and Civilization
This track covers the history of art, architecture and visual culture in the early Middle East and Mediterranean world as well as a survey of Roman history.
- ARTH 101 920: Prehistory to Renaissance
- ANCH 027 920: Ancient Rome
This track develops practical managerial negotiating skills as well as introduces theories and models of human decision making.
- OPIM 291 920: Negotiations
- PPE 110 920: Decision Theory
This track covers topics such as the study of the biological, psychological, and social influences that guide human sensation, perception, thought, emotion, and behavior.
- BIBB 109 920: Intro to Brain and Behavior
- PSYC 001 920: Experimental Psychology
Technology and Communication Skills for the 21st Century
This track focuses on essential skills in computer science and academic writing for university and beyond.
- CIS 110 920: Introduction to Computer Programming
- WRIT 150 922: Introduction to Academic Writing
This track covers the origins of trade, markets for trading, demand and supply curve, perfect completion and monopoly, and case studies on public policy for urban development in the US.
- ECON 001 921: Microeconomics
- PSCI 139 920: Politics of Poverty and Development
This track introduces econometric techniques and their applications in economic analysis and decision-making, and the valuation of options, futures, and related financial contracts.
- ECON 104 920: Econometrics
- FNCE 206 920: Financial Derivatives
Download: A Handbook for International Students
Application and Enrollment Requirements
The Penn Summer Global Institute welcomes applications from full-time undergraduate students from around the world. All applicants will be required to submit the following materials to complete their application:
- Penn Arts & Sciences Online Application
- Undergraduate Transcript(s)
- Application Essay
- Letter of Recommendation
- Minimum TOEFL score: 100iBt / IETLS: 7
- Visa: F-1 with accompanying I-20 to be issued by Penn Global
Upon admission students will be asked to select a course track based on the list above and will also receive visa instructions from Penn Global. All students will be invoiced for total amount due once admission is accepted. Complete payment will be required prior to the first day of the Penn Summer Global Institute.
Need additional information about Penn Summer Global Institute? Email our Senior Recruitment Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.