Penn Summer Abroad for International Students

Interested in taking Penn courses in another part of the world during the summer? If you are an undergraduate student at Penn or at any other U.S. or international accredited university you are welcome to apply.

Learn more about Penn Summer Abroad: locations, courses, dates, costs.

Visa Information

Visa requirements for the country where you plan to study will vary depending on your nationality. Check with the consulate of each country you will be visiting (including airport transits) to determine what you will need. It may take some time to obtain the visa. You are advised to begin the visa application process as soon as possible. Contact the Penn Summer Abroad office for assistance in obtaining any required program documents for the visa.

If you are currently studying in the U.S., you must notify the international students office at your university that you will be traveling outside the U.S. (If you are a Penn student, contact the Office of International Programs. You will need to complete paperwork from this office to make sure that you will be able to return to the U.S. after completing your summer abroad program. 

English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language AND you have not completed any post-secondary courses taught in English, you must submit one of the following in order to attend the Summer Abroad program. Use ETS institutional code 2986 when requesting test scores.

  • TOEFL: minimum score 100 iBT; 250 computer-based; 600 paper-based or institutional
  • IELTS: minimum combined score of 7.0
  • Cambridge: Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of English Proficiency (CPE) with grade of A or B


Contact us with questions or to schedule an advising appointment (by phone or in person).