Next: ERIC Minibib
Up: No Title
Previous: No Title
This bibliography was compiled by H. Schiffman for students to use in a course
project. Some of the items were gathered by a research assistant in 1993;
some have been checked for suitability, but some have not. A much more
extensive bibliography is needed which others can contribute to the expansion
of. See also resources in Reinecke & Suzaki, background reading from Labov
et al, and any material on creolization. Any of the more recent journal
articles below will have bibliographies that may need to be consulted, and
should prove useful.
- Baugh, John. 1995. ``The Law, Linguistics, and Education: Educational
reform for African American language minority students." Forthcoming in
Linguistics and Education.
- Baxter, Felix V. ``Black English: Some Legal Implications of the
Judicial Response to Language." (1981) NOLPE School Law Journal; v. 10,
n. 1, p. 81-93, 1981.
- Botan, Carl; Smitherman, Geneva. ``Black English in the Integrated
Workplace." (1991) Journal of Black Studies; v. 22, n. 2, p. 168-85, Dec.
- Catran, Jack. ``How to Speak English Without a Foreign Accent, Black
English Edition." (1985) [no journal citation] instructional materials .
- Chambers, John W. , Jr. (ed.) (1983.) Black English : educational
equity and the law. Ann Arbor, Mich. : Karoma Pubs.
- Cole, Patricia A.; Taylor, Orlando L. ``Performance of Working Class
African American Children on Three Tests of Articulation." (1990)
Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools; v. 21, n. 3, p. 17176, Jul.
- Cronnell, Bruce ``Dialect and Writing: A Review." (1983) Journal
of Research and Development in Education; v. 17, n. 1, p. 5864, Fall 1983.
- Cronnell, Bruce ``Black English Influences in the Writing of Third and
Sixth Grade Black Students." (1982) [no journal citation].
- Dandy, Evelyn Baker ``Dialect Differences: Do They Interfere?" (1988)
[no journal citation] 14 p.; paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the
Minority Advising Program and Minority Recruitment Officers (4th, Savannah, GA,
- DeBose, Charles E. ``Codeswitching: Black English and Standard English
in the African American Linguistic Repertoire." (1992) Journal of
Multilingual and Multicultural Development; v. 13, n. 12, p. 15767, 1992.
- Denning, Keith ``Convergence with Divergence: A Sound Change in
Vernacular Black English." (1989) Language Variation and Change; v. 1,
n. 2, p. 145-67, 1989.
- DeStefano, Johanna S. (1973.) Language, society, and education: a
profile of Black English. Worthington, Ohio, C. A. Jones Pub. Co.
- Dillard, J. L. (1969) ``Bidialectal Education: Black English
and Standard English in the United States." In Spolsky and Cooper (eds.)
Case Studies in Bilingual Education. Newbury House.
- Eisenstein, Miriam; Verdi, Gail ``The Intelligibility of Social Dialects
for Working Class Adult Learners of English." (1985) Language Learning
v. 35, n. 2, p. 28798, Jun 1985.
- Goldstein, Lynn M. ``Standard English: The Only Target for Nonnative
Speakers of English?" (1987) ESOL Quarterly; v. 21, n. 3, p. 417-36, Sep 1987.
- Hochel, Sandra ``Black Dialect and Speaking: Teaching the Acquisition
of Oral Standard English on the College Level." (1982) [no journal citation]
15 p.; paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Speech Communication
Association (68th, Louisville, KY, November 47, 1982).
- Holland, Ilona E. ``Nonstandard English on Television: A Content
Analysis." (1986) [no journal citation] 42 p.; paper presented at the Annual
Meeting of the International Communication Association (36th, Chicago, IL, May
- Holm, John. 1989. Pidgins and Creoles. Vols. I-II. Cambridge:
Cambridge U. Press.
- Labov, William ``Objectivity and Commitment in Linguistic Science: The
Case of the Black English Trial in Ann Arbor." (1982) Language in
Society v. 11, n. 2, p. 165201, Aug 1982.
- Leap, William L. ``Pathways and Barriers to Indian Language Literacy-
Building on the Northern Ute Reservation." (1991) Anthropology and
Education Quarterly; v. 22, n. 1, p. 2141, Mar 1991.
- Linn, Michael D.; Piche, Gene ``Black and White Adolescent and
Preadolescent Attitudes toward Black English." (1982) Research in the
Teaching of English; v. 16, n. 1, p. 5369, Feb 1982.
- Mayfield, M. Kent ``Black Dialect: What Is Its Effect on Learning to
Read?" Y-(1977) [no journal citation].
- Norris, Marylee K.; et al. ``Adaptation of a Screening Test for
Bilingual and Bidialectal Populations." (1989) Language, Speech, and
Hearing Services in Schools v. 20, n. 4, p. 38190, Oct 1989.
- Padak, Nancy D. ``The Language and Educational Needs of Children Who
Speak Black English." (1981) Reading Teacher; v. 36, n. 2, p. 14451, Nov.
- Reinecke, John, S. Tsuzaki, et al. A Bibliography of Pidgin and
Creole Languages. 1975. Honolulu: University Press of Hawaii.
- Riney, Timothy J. ``Linguistic Controversies, VBE Structures, and
Midwest Attitudes." (1990) [no journal citation] 15 p.; paper presented at the
Annual Meeting of the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
(24th, San Francisco, CA, March 1990).
- Smitherman, G. (1981) Black English and the Education of Black
Children and Youth. Detroit: Wayne State U. Center for Black Studies Press.
- Sonntag, Selma K.; Pool, Jonathan ``Linguistic Denial and Linguistic
Self Denial: American Ideologies of Language." (1987) Language Problems
and Language Planning v. 11, n. 1, p. 4665, Spr 1987.
- Speicher, Barbara L.; McMahon, Seane M. ``Some African American
Perspectives on Black English Vernacular." (1992) Language in Society v.
21, n. 3, p 383-407, Sept. 1992.
- Tagliamonte, Sali; Poplack, Shana ``How Black English ``Past" Got to the
Present: Evidence from Samana." (1988) Language in Society v. 17, n. 4,
p. 51333, Dec 1988.
- Tate, Davie, Jr.; Edwards, Peter ``The Culturally/Linguistically Diverse
Child, The Law, Reading Method Textbooks and the First `R.'" (1992) [no
journal title] 24 p.; paper presented at the Annual Pennsylvania Black
Conference on Higher Education (22nd, Philadelphia, PA, February 28, 1992).
- Taylor, Hanni U. (1989). Standard English, Black English, and
Bidialectalism : a Controversy. New York : P. Lang.
- Taylor, Hanni ``Ambivalence toward Black English: Some Tentative
Solutions." (1991) Writing Instructor v. 10, n. 3, p. 12135, Spr 1991.
- Taylor, Janet B. ``Influence of Speech Variety on Teachers' Evaluation
of Reading Comprehension." (1983) Journal of Educational Psychology v.
75, n. 5, p. 66267, Oct 1983.
- Thomas, Stephen B.; DeGuire, Daniel J. ``Legal Update Black English:
Not a Black and White Issue." (1981) Texas Tech Journal of Education v.
8, n. 3, p. 223 26, Fall 1981.
- Webber, Kikanza Nuri ``Teaching about Black English: An Annotated
Syllabus." (1985) Western Journal of Black Studies v. 9, n. 1, p. 23-29.
- Williams, Teresa Ernestine; Loyd, Brenda H. ``Attractiveness of ``Black
English [Foils?] An Examination of a Potential Source of Item Bias." (1982)
[no journal citation] 19 p.; paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the
American Educational Research Association (66th, New York, NY, March 1923,
- Williamson-Ige, Dorothy K. ``Black Students' Responses to Oral
Instructions Presented in Black English Versus Standard English.: (1986) [no
journal citation] research report.
Next: ERIC Minibib
Up: No Title
Previous: No Title
Fri Oct 18 08:53:46 EDT 1996