W Bilingual SLI
Bilingualism and Second-Language Impairment
- Ben-Zeev, S. (1984) Bilingualism and cognitive development. In N. Miller,
(ed) Bilingualism and language disability: Assessment and
And Gavillan Torres and Miller and Aburdarham in same book.
- Bruck, M. (1982) Language impaired children's performance in an additive
bilingual education program. Applied Psycholinguistics, 3, 45-60.
- Crago, M & Cole, E (1991) Using Ethnography to Bring Children4s
Communicative and Cultural Worlds into Focus. I Gallagher, T (ed)
Pragmatics of Language: Clinical practice issues. Singular Publishing
Group, San Diego
- Crago, M & Eriks-Brophy, A (1993) Culture, conversation, and
interaction: Implications for intervention. I Duncan, J, Hewitt, L,
Reynolds, C & Sonnenmeier, R (eds) Pragmatics: From Theory to Therapy,
Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Crago, M (1992) Communicative interaction and L2 acquisition: An
Inuit example. TESOL Quarterly
- Crutchley, A, Botting, N & Conti-Ramsden, G (1997) Bilingualism and
specific language impairment in children attending language units.
European Journal of Disorders of Communication, 32, 267-276
- Crutchely, A, Conti-Ramsden, G & Botting, N (1997) Bilingual Children with
Specific Language Impairment and Standardized Assessments: Preliminary
Findings from a Study of Children in Language Units. The International
Journal of Bilingualism, Vol 1, No 2, 117-134
- Damico, J, Oller, J & Storey, M (1983) The diagnosis of language disorders
in bilingual children: surface-oriented and pragmatic criteria. Journal of
Speech and Hearing Disorders, Vol 48, 385-394
- Dodd, B, Holm. A and Wei, L (1997) Speech disorder in preschool children
exposed to Cantonese and English. Clinical Linguistics &
Vol. 11, No 5, 229-243
- Juarez, M (1983) Assessment and treatment of minority-language-handicapped
children: The role of the monolingual speech-pathologist. Topics in
Language Disorders 3, 57-66
- Mattes, L & Omark, D (1984) Speech and Language Assessment for the
Bilingual Handicapped. College-Hill Press, San Diego
- Pena, Quinn, & Iglesias (1989). The application of dynamic methods to
language assessment: A nonbiased procedure. The Journal of Special
Education, 26, 269-279.
- Perozzi, J & Chavez Sanchez (1992) The Effect of Instruction in L1 on
Receptive Acquisition of L2 for Bilingual Children With Language Delay.
Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, Vol 23, 348-352
- Restrepo, M.A. (in press). Identifiers of primarily Spanish-speaking
children with language impairment. Journal of Speech and Hearing
- Roseberry and Connell (1991). The use of an invented language rule in the
differentiation of normal and language-impaired Spanish-speaking children.
Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 34, 596-603.
- Thordardottir, E, Ellis Weismar, S & Smith, M (1997) Vocabulary learning
in bilingual and monolingual clinical intervention. Child Language Teaching
and Therapy, Vol 13, number 3, 215-227
- Wiig, Becker-redding, & Semel (1983) A cross cultural, crosslinguistic,
comparison of language abilities.... Journal of Learning
16, 576 -585.
- Wong Fillmore, L (1979) Individual differences in second
language learning. In Fillmore, C, Kempler, D & Wang, W (eds) Individual
Differences in Language Ability and Language Behavior. Academic Press, New
M. Adelaida Restrepo, Ph.D.
Communication Sciences and Disorders
557 Aderhold Hall
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
voice (706) 542-8420, fax (706) 542-5877
THE BILINGUAL/SPECIAL EDUCATION INTERFACE(third edition) by Baca
& Cervantes, Merrill/Prentice Hall, 1998.
- C. Kessler's Language Acquisition in Bilingual Children (from
BILINGUALISM & LANGUAGE DISABILITY, College-Hill Press, Inc., 1984) for
its portrayal of the complexities involved in becoming a 'fluent'
email@example.com last modified 5/5/07