Ph. D., University of Washington, 2005-2010
School of Medicine, Division of Biomedical and Health Informatics
B. S., Purdue University, 2001-2005
Major Concentrations: Mathematics, Computer Science, Biology (triple-major)
Coursework Foci: discrete math, statistics, algorithms, theory of computation, biochemistry
|Honors and Grants
||Student Paper Competition Finalist, American Medical Informatics Association Conference
||National Library of Medicine Research Training Grant
||ARCS Foundation Top Future Scientist Fellowship (www.arcsfoundation.org)
||Hughes Bioinformatics Undergraduate Research Fellowship
||Post-doctoral Researcher with Drs. David Brainard and Geoff Aguirre, Depts. of Psychology and Neurology, University of Pennsylvania
||Graduate Student under Dr. Valerie Daggett, Protein Simulation Analysis and Data Mining, Division of Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington
||Graduate Rotation with Dr. Ira Kalet, Markov Models as a Method of Predicting Tumor Spread
||Graduate Rotation with Dr. Valerie Daggett, Clustering of Protein Transition States
||Undergraduate Research Assistant under Dr. Chris Bailey-Kellogg, Graph Theory and NMR
- Benson NC, Butt OB, Brainard DH, Aguirre GK (2014). Correction of distortion in flattened representations of the cortical surface allows prediction of V1-V3 functional organization from anatomy. PLoS Comput. Biol. In Press.
- Benson NC, Manning JR, Brainard DH (2014) Unsupervised learning of cone spectral classes from natural images. PLoS Comput. Biol. Submitted.
- Datta R, Benson NC, Prasad S, Jacobson SG, Cideciyan A, et al. (2014). A common mode of brain alteration in blindness. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. Submitted.
- Butt OH, Benson NC, Datta R, Aguirre GK (2013) The fine-scale functional correlation of striate cortex in sighted and blind people. J. Neurosci. 33(41):16209-19.
- Benson NC, Butt OH, Datta R, Radoeva PD, Brainard DH, Aguirre GK (2012) The retinotopic organization of striate cortex is well predicted by surface topology. Curr. Biol. 22(21): 2081-5 <
- Benson NC, Daggett V (2012) A comparison of methods for the analysis of molecular dynamics simulations. J. Phys. Chem. B 116(29): 8722-31.
- Benson NC, Daggett V (2012) Wavelet analysis of protein motion. Int. J. Wavelets Multi. Inf. Process. 10: 1250040-59.
- Benson NC, Daggett V (2012) A chemical group graph representation for efficient high-throughput analysis of atomistic protein simulations. J. Bioinformatics Comput. Biol. 0(2): 1250008-24
- van der Kamp MW, Schaeffer RD, Jonsson AL, Scouras AD, Simms A, Toofanny RD, Benson NC, Anderson PC, Merkley ED, Rysavy S, Bromley D, Beck DAC, Daggett V (2010) Dynameomics: a comprehensive database of protein dynamics. Structure 18: 423-435.
- Benson NC, Daggett V (2009) Dynameomics: large-scale assessment of native protein flexibility. Protein Sci. 17(12): 2038-50.
- Simms AM, Toofanny RD, Kehl C, Benson NC, Daggett V (2008) Dynameomics data warehouse: Design of a computational lab workflow and scientific data repository. Protein Eng. Des. Sel. 21(6): 369-77.
- Benson NC, Whipple M, Kalet IJ (2006) A Markov model approach to predicting regional tumor spread in the lymphatic system of the head and neck. AMIA Annu. Symp. Proc. :31-5.
- Benson NC, Butt OH, Brainard DH, Aguirre GK (2013) Cortical surface structure predicts extrastriate retinotopic function. Poster presented at the 13th Annual Vision Sciences Society (VSS) Meeting. 9-15 May.
- Benson NC, Brainard DH (2012) An unsupervised learning technique for typing cones in the retinal mosaic. Talk presented at the 12th Annual Vision Sciences Society (VSS) Meeting. 11-16 May.
- Butt OH, Benson NC, Datta R, Aguirre GK (2012) V1 resting-state functional connectivity reflects polar angle and eccentricity both within and between hemispheres. Poster presented at the 12th Annual Vision Sciences Society (VSS) Meeting.11-16 May.
- Benson NC, Brainard DH, Stambolian D (2012) Contrast sensitivity at soft drusen in early age-related macular degeneration using fine-detail perimetry. Poster presented at the 2012 Annual Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Meeting. 4-10 May.
- Benson NC, Butt OH, Datta R, Brainard DH, Aguirre GK (2011) A universal retinotopic mapping of V1 with respect to anatomy. Poster presented at the 11th Annual Vision Sciences Society (VSS) Meeting. 11-16 May.
- Butt OH, Benson NC, Datta R, Brainard DH, Aguirre GK (2011) Multi-focal and phase-encoded retinotopy compared. Poster presented at the 11th Annual Vision Sciences Society (VSS) Meeting. 11-16 May.
- Benson NC, Daggett V (2010) Determining the molecular basis of disease in single nucleotide polymorphism variants using wavelet analysis. Poster presented at the 54th Annual Biophysical Society Meeting. 20-24 Feb.
- Graduate and Professional Student Senate
- Executive Committee Member, summer 2008
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender minority senator 2007-2009
- Faculty Senate Committee on Planning and Budgeting, student member, 2009
- Student Visit Day Coordinator, Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2006-2008
- Admissions Committee Student Member, Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2009