Courses and Registration FAQ

The course I want to register for says that I need a permit to register. How can I get a permit? 

Email the instructor to ask for a permit into the course. If there is a seat available, the instructor will explain how to move forward. First, please double check that you are not trying to register for a course you cannot be admitted into (LPS Only, Freshman Only, Seniors Only, etc.) 

Is there a waitlist for this course? I really want to get in it/I need it to graduate.

The Anthropology department does not keep any waitlists. If an instructor chooses to keep a waitlist it is completely independent from the department and any inquiries about this waitlist should go directly to the instructor (not department administrators).  

I want to register for a course but Penn in Touch is saying that this is an "LPS" course and I need permission to register. What should I do? 

Each LPS course reserves a certain amount of seats for LPS students. If you are getting a message from Penn In Touch about LPS this means that all of the seats allotted to SAS students have been filled. If you would still like to take this course, any LPS seats that were not claimed will be open to ALL students on the second day of the semester, at which point you may try to register again.  

I can't register because I have a hold on my account, what should I do? 

Contact your academic advisor to identify the cause of the hold. Your advisor will let you know what you need to do to have it removed.  

I didn't realize I needed to register for a recitation in addition to my lecture, and now I am dropped from the course. Can I get back in? 

You will have received an email notification about getting dropped from the course due to your failure to register for the recitation- forward this email along with your request to the undergraduate coordinator. This is not a guarantee that you will be able to get back into the course if the course is full, but we will do our best to help you once we have your request.  

I accidently dropped a course in Penn in Touch and now it is saying that I need a permit to register. What should I do? 

If you had received a permit into the course originally, email the undergraduate coordinator to ask for another permit. If the course is now full, you cannot be admitted back into the course.                                                                       

How do I claim the permit I just got for my course? 

Log in to Penn in Touch and select "Register for Courses" from the menu on the left. Navigate to the right side of the page where you will see the course you received a permit for under the heading "unused permits". Click the arrows next to the desired permit/course to add this course. Please be aware that permits expire so it is essential that you claim your permit ASAP or you will not be guaranteed a seat. 

Is there anyway to know as soon as a seat becomes available in a course I want to take? 

Penn Course Notify is a service that emails students when a closed course opens up during the Course Selection period. Currently, this is the only way to know as soon as a seat becomes available. 

I am studying abroad/taking courses at another university. How can I get them approved to count toward my anthropology major/minor? 

XCAT is the online External Course Approval Tool used to determine transfer, credit away and study abroad courses for all students across all four undergraduate schools. Students must secure approval for credit away courses through the XCAT system BEFORE taking them. Through this system, students submit requests for Penn approval, departments make determinations regarding approval and credit and home school advisors and the Registrar's Office post credits to the Penn transcript. Please follow this link to submit your course information to XCAT. Once you have submitted your courses, email the Undergraduate Chair to notify them of your request. 

Can I take a Graduate level class (500 and above)?  

Typically, undergraduate students should restrict their registration to 000-599 courses, 500-599 being available to both graduate and undergraduate students (instructor permission may be required for undergraduates). In special circumstances, undergraduate students may take graduate level courses with approval of the instructor and the Undergraduate Chair. See the College Policy for details. 

The drop/add/withdrawal period just ended but I need to drop/add/withdraw from a course. What should I do? 

You must submit a petition to the college office. See the College Policy for details. All petitions go directly to the college office, the anthropology department cannot administer any late adds/drops/withdrawals.  

I really want to take this course, but it has been full since the beginning of registration. What can I do? 

First, sign up for Penn Course Notify to receive a notification as soon as a seat opens up. Next, contact the instructor of the course to inquire about their policy on permits. This is not a guarantee for a permit. 

I think there is a problem with my grade. What should I do next? 

See the College Policy and contact the instructor.

What is an Independent Study? 

Independent study on a specific research project with a professor offers students the opportunity for an in-depth, hands-on research experience within the department.  For more information, email to the Undergraduate Chair and the faculty member with whom you are interested in working.  Course credit as ANTH 199 can be given for pre-approved Independent Study and research work. Independent Studies cannot be applied retroactively, they must be approved and registered for like any other course. Students may count no more than two ANTH 199 courses for the Anthropology major, and no more than one for the minor.