This page describes the essential basics of Canvas for the instructor who only needs to upload a syllabus and readings.
Canvas is a big toolbox. Use the tools you need. Don't worry about the rest.
1. How do I request a Canvas Site?
- Request a site with our web form at https://dla.library.upenn.edu/siterequest/
2. How do I log in?
- Log in with PennKey and password at http://canvas.upenn.edu
3. How do I get around in Canvas?
- The front page (Dashboard) has recent activity and your “To Do” list.
- The global menu at the top gets you to your Courses and your Calendar.
- The help corner in the upper right has help and your
inbox and personal settings.
- Within a course site:
- The left sidebar has course navigation.
- The right sidebar has tools for the page you’re on.
4. How do I post my syllabus?
See the video tutorial for creating an active syllabus.
- Course navigation > Syllabus > Edit Syllabus Description.
- You can post a syllabus file using (right sidebar) Insert Content into this Page > Files.
5. How do I post readings?
- To upload multiple files at once, drag your files from your desktop and drop them into
Course navigation > Files. Then add a link to each file in Modules or Pages.
- Or you can add upload one file at a time into Modules or Pages.
6. How do I view my site as a student?
- Course navigation > Settings > (right sidebar) Student View.
7. How do I manage my navigation menu?
- Course navigation > Settings > Navigation (tab).
8. How do I send messages to my students?
- Make an announcement using Course navigation > Announcements.
- Or start a Conversation by sending a message from Help Corner > Inbox.
- Or send email to your Class Mailing List (available through Courses inTouch).
9. How do I control the flow of notifications?
- Help Corner > Settings > Notifications
10. How do I copy content from one site to another?
- Course navigation > Settings > (right sidebar) Import Content into this Course.
11. How do I get help?
- Help Corner > Help
12. Where can I learn more about Canvas?
- The Library’s Guide for Penn instructors: http://guides.library.upenn.edu/canvas