The University has replaced our version of AirPennNet-Guest with a new system (effective April 27, 2017). The new system streamlines and improves registration, refreshed aging infrastructure, and reduces or eliminates the administrative burden for special events. As a consequence, we need to change the way we connect to AirPennNet-Guest.
Who Is Affected?
Anyone who uses the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network is affected.
Please keep in mind that the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network is intended for visitors of Penn and not for Penn students, faculty, or staff. However, almost 200 people in SAS have recently used the guest network, probably for mobile devices. Members of the Penn community can get internet access faster by instead using the regular AirPennNet. For assistance in setting up your devices for AirPennNet, please use our online instructions or ask for assistance from your Local Support Provider.
What Will Change?
- The AirPennNet-Guest wireless network acts as one large wireless hotspot for campus.
- Devices on the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network need to be registered daily, instead of weekly.
- Guests are required to register a properly formatted e-mail address. They no longer need a PennKey.
- All current forms of AirPennNet-Guest authentication (e.g., conference codes, Penn affiliate sponsorships, sponsored MAC, etc.) are no longer required or accepted.
- Only basic Internet connectivity is provided, including web browsing and secure protocols (such as standard VPN and remote desktop).
- Bandwidth usage limits are in effect providing a speed of 3 megabytes per second (up and down) per device.
- The AirPennNet-Guest wireless network blocks hosts that may serve malicious content.
- In cases of abuse, repeat offenders will be blocked from using the AirPennNet-Guest wireless network.
How to Connect
The process of connecting to AirPennNet-Guest is easy, but it will need to be repeated each day that you want access to the Internet. Here are the instructions to use.
- Select the AirPennNet-Guest network (if it's not already chosen) from the wireless networks available on your device.
- Open a web browser on your device. A form will appear.
- Review and accept the Acceptable Use Policy terms and conditions.
- Enter a valid email address.
- Click Submit.
Users who are experiencing issues after registration should wait 5 minutes and then try to register again.