Web.sas.upenn.edu uses the WordPress platform and is hosted in the cloud by a third-party vendor, CampusPress.
CampusPress has WordPress's ease of use and most popular features, while keeping the service economical and secure by focusing on providing only those features of greatest use to its entire community. CampusPress is not a direct replacement for a departmental Drupal site.
- Speedy setup of new sites
- No development skills required; many themes and plug-ins have been vetted by CampusPress.
- No sysadmin assistance is required.
- Security is provided by CampusPress which maintains the WordPress installation and plug-ins.
SAS Faculty and Staff can request and administer sites on web.sas. Great uses of web.sas include:
- Personal Scholarly Websites
- Research Lab Websites
- Events or Conferences
- Special Programs
Please keep in mind:
- The web.sas service should not be used to store sensitive data (if you're unsure what that is, please ask your LSP)
- You can review the list of available plugins to make sure they meet your needs
- Periodically CampusPress makes changes to the service to keep its service in line with broader Wordpress updates. At times, the vendor may need to remove a plugin or a theme from the service which could impact your sites. SAS Computing will work with you in the event these necessary updates will affect you.
To request a site, please send us an email. In your request, please take into account the following policy regarding URLs.
The URL of a CampusPress site will always be http://web.sas.upenn.edu/[sitename], where [sitename] is the part that needs to be chosen.
SAS has established the following conventions for choosing URLs:
- A user is always entitled to choose their own PennKey.
- No user may choose a sitename that matches an actual or potential PennKey. (Pennkeys must be between 3-8 characters and include only letters and numbers. Therefore a sitename with more than eight characters, or one that includes a dash or underscore, will be allowed.)
- A user cannot choose a sitename that conflicts with an obvious Penn-related Department or function. For example, the URL web.sas.upenn.edu/english can only be used by the English department.
- CampusPress URLs are made up of all lowercase letters and numerals. The only non-alphanumeric characters that are allowed are hyphens '-' and underscores '_'.
- Other than Penn-related URLs, sitenames will be assigned on a first-come first-served basis, and there will be no attempt to "reserve" URLs.
Help and Support is available in the CampusPress Users Guides (note that CampusPress used to be known as Edublogs).
If you have additional questions, please contact your Local Support Provider.