Each year, APC will fund up to two yearlong working groups focused on intellectual and/or pedagogical questions related to gender, sexuality, and queer studies. These interdisciplinary groups provide a forum for sustained engagement to explore emerging and/or under-supported areas of scholarship, as well as to develop resources for the APC/GSWS community. While the topic, composition, and activities of the working group are open, priority will be given to proposals that include participants from across the University and that align with APC and GSWS foci in queer studies, transnational perspectives, and intersectional feminisms. The number of working groups funded will depend upon the proposed projects' connections to our core missions and budgetary constraints.
At the close of the grant cycle, each working group is required to produce a resource for the APC/GSWS community. Resources may include, but are not limited to, an annotated bibliography for integrating the group’s topic into courses; course syllabus; a publication; a public event; a proposal for collaborative research; or a contribution to the APC podcast series.
APC provides the following support to working groups:
- up to $5,000 for working group activities;
- assistance identifying additional group members, at the convener(s) request, with the goal of increasing the interdisciplinary composition of the group;
- meeting space and administrative support for working group meetings;
- assistance finding and applying for funding to continue the working group after one-year and/or to support programming developed by the group; and
- limited administrative support to coordinate programming and disseminate other resources.
- any member of the Penn community may propose a working group
- working groups may include faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students, and staff. The specific composition of the group is at the discretion of the convener(s)
- the activities of the working group may include, but are not limited to, an ongoing seminar, speakers colloquia, the planning of an event or course syllabi, or simply time to engaged in discussion to deeply explore a shared topic of interest
- working group applications are accepted between March 1 – March 15, for groups to be convened the following academic year
- grant funds must be used within the academic year of the award (July 1 – June 30)
- notification of awards will be made by April 15
To Apply: Please complete the online application, which includes the following information:
- name, affiliations and position of convener(s)
- list of confirmed and possible working group members, including affiliation and position. Please include if you would like assistance identifying additional group members
- short description of the topic and activities of the working group, including how these efforts align with the mission of APC and GSWS (150-250 words)
- proposed resource(s) to be developed by the working group
- budget, up to $5,000
For further information, contact Anne Esacove at email@example.com
2018-2019 Working Groups:
> Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies in East Asia, organized by Ayako Kano, Hsiao-wen Cheng and Julie Davis
> Non-Binary, Trans, and Gender Non-Conforming Literacy Project, organized by Alvin Kim, Davy Knittle, Aylin Malcolm, and Brooke Stanley