Many students enter Penn having already satisfied the language requirement, either via the SAT II or with an appropriate score on the AP or IB Higher Level examinations. It is important to make sure that an official record of your scores has been sent to Penn and that they are posted to your record. Nonetheless, it is a good idea to bring an official copy of your scores to Penn.
Placement via the SAT II
If your SAT II score is 650 or above, you may enroll in SPAN 202. If your score is between 600 and 640, you qualify to take an oral exam to be exempt from the language requirement. The oral exam is offered during the first two weeks of a semester only. Please sign up for the exam with the Undergraduate Coordinator. If your score is less than 600, you may use your SAT II score for placement at the 110—140 level. You may consult the SAT II Placement Scale.
Placement via the AP or IB examinations
- Students who have scored a 4 in the AP Spanish language or literature examination and who wish to continue in Spanish should enroll in SPAN 202.
- Students who have scored a 5 in the AP Spanish language examination, 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level B exam, or 5 on the IB Higher Level A exam and who wish to continue in Spanish should enroll in SPAN 212.
- Students who have scored a 5 in the AP Spanish literature examination, or 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level A exam and who wish to continue in Spanish should enroll in SPAN 219 or 223.
- Students with the above scores may also consider SPAN 205 or 208.Students who enter with equivalent credit for SPAN 210 are also eligible to enroll in SPAN 215, 221 or 222 when offered.
- Students who have earned an A or A- in the British A Level examination in Spanish should contact the Acting Undergraduate Chair.