You are here

Financial Aid

Financing your education

It’s never too early to make a plan for financing your education. It is recommended that you start researching your eligibility and loan options as soon as possible. The Pre-Health Programs are certificate-granting and are therefore eligible for federal aid, private loans and payment plans. However, there are no institutional grants, scholarships or work-study positions available for Pre-Health students.

Financing your education

Your tuition at the University of Pennsylvania is calculated at a per course unit (c.u.) rate* based on the program you choose and the number of course units for which you register unless otherwise indicated.

Visit the following resources on Penn websites and federal websites to guide you through the process.

Student Financial Services

Penn’s Student Financial Services office is available to prospective and current students for financial aid inquiries. We encourage Pre-Health students to visit the Student Financial Services office in person. It is also recommended that you state in your communication with Student Financial Services that you are a Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate student who is earning a certificate in the College of Liberal and Professional Studies, and not “pre-med.”

For more information on financing your graduate studies, visit these pages on the Student Financial Services website:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All domestic applicants interested in their federal loan eligibility should complete the FAFSA form after applying to the program.

  • Start your FAFSA form on the Department of Education’s website

Students in the Pre-Health Programs are eligible for Federal Stafford Loans. Students must be registered at least half-time (two course units) for each semester of attendance. In the summer, one course unit is considered half-time.

The parents of dependent students may apply for a PLUS loan. Optional or alternative loans may also be available.

Tuition benefits

If you intend to complete the Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate Programs as a working professional, you may be able to take advantage of tuition reimbursement benefits offered by your employer. If you are a full-time Penn employee, learn more about Penn's tuition benefits on Penn’s Human Resources website.

*Academic credit (PDF) is defined by the University of Pennsylvania as a course unit (c.u.). A course unit (c.u.) is a general measure of academic work over a period of time, typically a term (semester or summer). A c.u. (or a fraction of a c.u.) represents different types of academic work across different types of academic programs and is the basic unit of progress toward a degree. One c.u. is usually converted to a four-semester-hour course.

Which program is right for me?

Admissions and Eligibility

Learn more about applicant qualifications for each of the Pre-Health Programs.

See Admissions and Eligibility >

Application information

Apply Now

You may apply to begin the Specialized Studies option during the fall, spring or summer terms, and the Core Studies option during the fall or summer terms.

Apply now >

Student & alumni stories

Student & Alumni Stories

"Academically, I wanted to develop a solid foundation in the sciences, which I found in Penn's challenging, yet collaborative learning environment."
-- Mark Meisarah

Read about Mark >

Penn LPS

The lifelong learning division of Penn Arts & Sciences

3440 Market Street, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3335

(215) 898-7326

Facebook   Twitter   YouTube