- About Us
- News & Events
- Faculty & Research
- Degrees & Programs
- Supporting SAS
Q and A: Growing Up in South Africa (Audio)
Professor of Music Carol Muller describes life under apartheid and reflects on the passing of Nelson Mandela.
December 1, 2013
When Nelson Mandela passed away on December 5, the mourning was worldwide. Born in South Africa in the ‘60s, Professor of Music Carol Muller lived in a society that changed around her. Here she describes the nation of her childhood and the change wrought by Mandela and others.
1. What was it like growing up in South Africa?
2. What did you know about Nelson Mandela then?
3. When did you start to get a broader picture of what was going on?
4. How did your time at university affect you?
5. Where were you the day Mandela was released from jail?
6. What did he do that stood out for you?
7. What were your thoughts when you heard Mandela had died?
School of Arts & Sciences Office of Advancement
If you would like to contact someone about this or any other issue of Frontiers, please email: