Penn Summer Abroad Admitted Student Resources

You are here

If you have been admitted to a 2017 Penn Summer Abroad program, this section provides you with information about what forms you need to complete and submit.

Penn Summer Abroad Student Handbook

Download: Penn Summer Abroad Student Handbook

Statement of Committal

Log into your application website to access the statement of committal form:

  • Please complete the statement of committal questionnaire within your application by the date noted in your admissions e-mail
  • By completing your statement of committal questionnaire, you are accepting your offer and letting us know we need to hold a space for you while you complete the balance of your pre-departure forms
  • There is no deposit required. Howeveryou may be charged a fee should you withdraw from the program after you have enrolled in it. Illnesses and other extenuating circumstances will be reviewed on a case-to-case basis.


Pre-departure forms

These forms must be completed and submitted to the Penn Summer Abroad Office before you can be registered for courses. Plan ahead. You will need to schedule an appointment with either your physician or the Student Health Center to complete the health forms.

  1. Program agreement and limits of liability waiver (PDF)
  2. Health forms (PDF), including:
    • Health Information Form: Fill out and sign and have it signed by your healthcare provider
    • Medical Statement: To be completed by your healthcare provider 
    • Medical Treatment Authorization: Please read and sign
  3. Proof of Health Insurance: You must provide proof of your health insurance coverage during the period of the Summer Abroad program. It is your responsibility to make sure that your insurance adequately covers you during the program. You may provide proof of insurance by submitting a scanned copy of your current insurance card in your application portal. Forms are to be submitted within your application portal. There is an upload function for each document required.
  4. Global Activities Registry: You will be entered as part of the group in Penn's Global Activities Registry. Approximately two weeks prior to departure, you will receive an e-mail notice asking you to verify your information and provide your flight itinerary.

Visiting students 

During the period of the program, visiting students are considered Penn students. You are advised to become familiar with Penn policies as they do apply to you during this period.

After submitting your statement of committal, you will receive a letter from the Registrar's Office with instructions and a set-up code to create your personal username or PennKey. A PennKey is required to participate fully in the Summer Abroad program. Your PennKey also provides you with access to your Penn e-mail account, protected electronic resources—including your student account and grades—and Penn's library resources. Once you have a PennKey, enter your contact information, specifically an e-mail address, into the Penn Directory to receive all necessary communications. For more information about setting up your account, visit New Student Checklist.

Travel notes


Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the end date of the program. If you do not already have a passport or need to renew it, begin the process immediately. Passport application forms and instructions can be obtained at the US Post Office or the US Department of State.

Airfare and Tickets

Unless noted, Penn Summer Abroad does not organize your international travel to your program's location. Some programs may advise arrival at a certain airport within a certain time window (see the individual program calendar).

You will be able to contact other students within your program through Canvas after you have been registered for your course. Contact the ones who are likely to travel from the same airport, as you may be able to travel together. We highly recommend purchasing travel insurance that will provide coverage for lost baggage or unforeseen events that may require rescheduling your ticket.


  • Domestic students: The majority of the Penn Summer Abroad countries do not require US citizens to have visas for their short-term stay. If your program does require a visa or other entry documents, the Penn Summer Abroad office will provide you with instructions on what you need to complete to obtain the necessary paperwork.
  • Penn students who are non-US citizens: You must notify the Office of International Students and Scholars of your plans to study abroad. Paperwork from this office must be completed for re-entry into the US following your Summer Abroad program.
  • International students: Non-US citizens may have different visa requirements. If you are not a US citizen, you should check on your visa requirements with the consulate of the country where you declare your citizenship. Additionally, you should check about necessary entry documents with the consulate(s) of the country where you plan to study.
  • If you are a non-US citizen and a visiting student from another US university or college, you need to notify your school's equivalent of the Office of International Students and Scholars to inform them of your travels.
  • If you are considering traveling to other countries on the way to or from your Penn Summer Abroad location, you must check on the visa requirements for each country in which you plan to visit.
    US permanent residents: You must bring your green card with you when you travel abroad. It is required to re-enter the US. Additionally, you should check with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services concerning any additional regulations for your reentry into the US.


Any of the following sites are good resources for information on required or recommended vaccines and immunizations for travel abroad. You can also refer to the pre-departure section of the Student Handbook for any additional information.


Each Penn Summer Abroad program will hold pre-departure orientation on Penn's campus in the spring and attendance is required. There is also a mandatory on-site orientation upon your arrival in the host country.

The on-campus orientation will provide essential information about the course, and the program in general. Visiting and international students unable to attend the pre-departure session will be issued printed materials from the workshops. If you have difficulty understanding these materials, you are expected to contact the program director for clarification.

Thinking about

studying abroad?


Apply to

study abroad


Looking for abroad



Penn Summer

3440 Market Street, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3335

(215) 898-7326

Facebook Twitter