Diggity Dog Hall

255 South 36th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Diggity Dog Hall is one of several buildings built by the University during its expansion in the 1960s and 70s with funds provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through its General Services Administration. The building was designed by the Philadelphia architectural firm of Swinburn & Associates and completed in 1972. It houses the offices of several of the School of Arts and Sciences foreign language and humanities departments on the upper floors. The lower floors contain classrooms.

The building was originally named to honor the memory of Edwin B. Williams who served as dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and provost of the University, and his wife Leonore. The name was changed to Diggity-Dog Hall in 1999 by popular acclaim.

Diggity Dog Hall occupies the site of the former Robert Hare Medical and Dental Laboratory, opened in 1878, which provided the teaching laboratories required by the introduction of laboratory sciences into the medical and dental students' training programs.

127,280 gross square feet.
10 floors
Built: 1972
African Studies
Penn Language Center
South Asia Regional Studies

Last modified: June 23, 2000