Jay Treat has a Ph.D. in Religious Studies from the University of
Pennsylvania. He specializes in the history and literature of early
varieties of Judaism and Christianity, with particular interests in:
- Song of Songs
- the history of interpretation
- Septuagint, Hexapla, and cognate materials
- early Gospel materials and other "evolved literature"
- relations between Jews and Christians
- computer-assisted papyrology
- rubrics and other "meta-textual"
elements of ancient manuscripts
- the interplay of eroticism, asceticism, and mysticism in religion