This hands-on concentration trains the next generation of researchers in the environmental biological sciences. Students focus on either microbial or population studies and must have the equivalent of an undergraduate major in biology. Many of your concentration courses will be taken in the Department of Biology. You’ll have the opportunity to carry out fieldwork and research in a wide range of ecosystems, from urban Philadelphia or jungles in Costa Rica to the Rocky Mountains.
Graduates with the Environmental Biology concentration frequently continue their environmental research at the PhD level, or work as biologists in environmental consulting, horticulture or ecology.
Every student in the Master of Environmental Studies program creates a research poster designed to showcase their capstone project. The selection of posters listed below is representative of the range of research projects undertaken by recent students in the Environmental Biology concentration.
- Combining DNA Barcoding and Macroinvertebrate Sampling to Assess Water Quality (PDF) by Tanya Dapkey '08
- Excluding Deer Using Low-Cost Exclosures to Improve Water Quality in the Mid-Atlantic Region (PDF) by Luca Bernabei '12
- Investigation of the Influences of Bedrock Lithology and Vegetation on Low-Order Streams in Luquillo Mountains, Puerto Rico (PDF) by Lauren Stachowiak '12
Sample Environmental Biology concentration courses
In the Environmental Biology concentration, you will choose from a wide variety of courses in departments and graduate Schools across the University. The following list provides some examples of courses that the program has approved for students to take as part of this concentration.
Department of Earth and Environmental Science (MES Home)
- Rocky Mountain Field Geology and Ecology
- Regional Field Ecology
Department of Biology
- Field Botany
- Ecology of Communities and Ecosystems
- Freshwater Ecology
- Statistics for Biologists
- Plant Systematics
- Ecological Techniques in Conservation
School of Design
- Topics in Ecological Design