Tuition and Fees
Your tuition at the University of Pennsylvania is calculated at a per course unit (c.u.) rate* based on the program you choose and the number of course units for which you register unless otherwise indicated. The rates listed below will be effective fall 2016 through spring 2017. Summer tuition information is available on the Penn Summer tuition page.
All tuition and fee charges are subject to the approval of the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania and may change without notice.
College of Liberal and Professional Studies tuition
Tuition for College of Liberal and Professional Studies courses taken by Bachelor of Arts students are billed at the rates listed in the table below.
Fall 2016-Spring 2017 Tuition and Fee Rates for Bachelor of Arts College of Liberal and Professional Studies Courses
|Course Units||Tuition||General Fee||Tech Fee||Clinical Fee||Recreation Fee||Total|
College of Liberal and Professional Studies courses end with a section code between 601 and 606 in the fall and spring. In summer, LPS courses end with section codes of 900 to 909. Online courses carry an additional $150 fee.
Non-College of Liberal and Professional Studies Tuition
Bachelor of Arts students in the College of Liberal and Professional Studies are charged LPS tuition rates for daytime courses in the School of Arts and Sciences when enrolling in courses required for their officially declared major. Please review the Tuition Reduction eligibility criteria listed in the Bachelor of Arts Student Handbook (PDF) and consult your advisor regarding specific courses that qualify for a tuition reduction.
Bachelor of Arts students in the College of Liberal and Professional Studies who are taking courses outside of the School of Arts and Sciences (i.e., the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the Wharton School of Business, the School of Nursing) are charged the tuition of that school. Courses taken in the College of Arts and Sciences that are not required for your officially declared major are also charged at the tuition of that school.
Fall 2016-Spring 2017 Tuition and Fee Rates outside the College of Liberal and Professional Studies
|Course Units (c.u.)||Tuition||General Fee||Tech Fee||Total|
Students should coordinate closely with their Program Director and academic advisors to fully understand the tuition implications of taking any courses outside of the College of Liberal and Professional Studies. For complete course taking policies please see the Bachelor of Arts Student Handbook (PDF).
- General Fee: The general fee constitutes a partial contribution to the support of such essential facilities as a large library system, museums and institutes, and special laboratories.
- Technology Fee: The technology fee covers all the public computing labs, networking access and a host of other computing services and local support.
- Clinical Fee: The clinical fee is required for students enrolled in four or more course units and allows them unlimited access to the Penn Student Health Service.
- Recreation Fee: The recreation fee is required for students enrolled in four or more course units for automatic membership in the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center.
- Online Course Fee: The online course fee ($150) is required for students enrolled in an online or hybrid course and covers additional services associated with those courses.