Vasu Ranganathan, Penn Language Center
My areas of specialization include Tamil language, linguistics
and literature. My fields of interest in linguistics
include syntax, phonology, computational linguistics and language teaching.
My current interest in the area of Tamil language and linguistics
is writing software for learning Tamil and natural language processing,
such as development of morphological tagger, machine translation system
etc. Following are some of the projects I am involved in.
to download these programs from the ftp site:
here to download my HyperCard program (Macintosh) for learning Tamil in a
multimedia environment (See below for a description). (By the way, don't
tell me that you don't use Macintosh!!!!)
Some of the features of this software include the following.
- Allows one to listen to Tamil speech while reading the
corresponding text on screen simultaneously.
- Contains graded lessons with grammar, from beginning to advanced
level of Tamil.
- Easy to consult pop-up fields with explanations on grammar, cultural
notes and translations.
- Separate screens for Tamil sentences in formal written style and
informal spoken style.
- Provides an exposure to daily conversations in simplified form.
- Allows one to listen to entire dialogue or a particular
segment of the dialogue just by the click of a mouse.
- Comprehension exercise after every lesson to test the skill acquired
from each lesson.
- Easy to use navigation buttons to navigate through
- 105 lessons arranged from beginning level to advanced level in a
carefully graded fashion.
This software is available for students to use at the University of
Pennsylvania through MMETS server. Look for MMETS server under apple
menu in any macintosh computer connected to local network at the University
This software is also accessible to students at the University of
Michigan through their server at the Language Resource Center (LRC). Look
for this server under the apple menu in any macintosh computer connected
to MichNet at the University of Michigan.