You are here

Financial Aid

Financing your education

It’s never too early to make a plan for financing your education. It is recommended that you start researching your eligibility and loan options as soon as possible. US citizens and permanent residents may be eligible for federal loans (i.e., Direct Loan, Grad PLUS). In addition, private alternative loan programs are available for credit-worthy borrowers. International students often require a qualified co-signer who is a US citizen or permanent resident. You may be able to earn a stipend through your capstone research experience with our industry partners to help pay for your education.

Visit the following resources on Penn websites and federal websites to guide you through the process.

Student Financial Services

Penn’s Student Financial Services office is available to prospective and current students for financial aid inquiries. For more information on financing your graduate studies, visit these pages on the Student Financial Services website:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All domestic applicants interested in their federal loan eligibility should complete the FAFSA form after applying to the program.

  • Start your FAFSA form on the Department of Education’s website

Tuition benefits

If you intend to complete the Master of Chemical Sciences degree as a working professional, you may be able to take advantage of tuition reimbursement benefits offered by your employer. If you are a full-time Penn employee, learn more about Penn's tuition benefits on Penn’s Human Resources website.

International student financial information

Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services provide immigration expertise and assistance to the Penn community. Visit these pages on the International Student and Scholar website to get more information on employment options for international students:

  • On-campus employment: Learn more about the rules for employment at Penn for F-1 and J-1 visas
  • Curricular Practical Training: Get information on gaining Curricular Practical Training (CPT)—alternate work-study and internship opportunities offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with Penn. Students interested in this option must schedule an appointment with Master of Chemical Sciences associate director, Dr. Ana-Rita Mayol, to obtain necessary academic authorization.
  • Optional Practical Training: Learn about the process of applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT)—hands-on work experiences that complement your education

Theoretical and technical expertise


A blend of core concentration courses and electives allows students to create an individualized academic schedule.

See Courses and Curriculum >

Student & alumni stories

Student & Alumni Stories

"I didn't expect I would have so many chances to talk and communicate with the professors here."

-- Yannan Lin, current student

Read about Yannan >

Creating the right chemistry


See how our Master of Chemical Sciences program makes it possible for students to link their academics to industry experience.

Read the article >

Penn LPS

The lifelong learning division of Penn Arts & Sciences

3440 Market Street, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3335

(215) 898-7326

Facebook   Twitter   YouTube