SAS offers semester-length Teaching Relief Awards each year to two Academic Support Staff in the following categories:
- Senior Lecturer
- Lecturer in Foreign Languages
- Senior Lecturer in Foreign Languages
- Lecturer in Critical Writing
- Senior Lecturer in Critical Writing
These are awarded competitively by a committee of the deans.
One semester of teaching relief in order to complete a project that will directly enhance the awardee's qualifications and performance as Academic Support Staff at Penn, especially with regard to teaching.
The two lecturers granted Teaching Relief Awards will continue to receive full salary and benefits for the semester of the award. If the applicant holds a position as Coordinator or Director of a program or sector, it is expected that s/he will continue in this capacity. This award is meant as teaching relief only.
- The applicant must hold the rank of Senior Lecturer, Lecturer in Foreign Languages, Senior Lecturer in Foreign Languages, Lecturer in Critical Writing, or Senior Lecturer in Critical Writing.
- The applicant must have successfully passed the second (five year) review.
- Normally, each eligible faculty member may receive a Teaching Relief Award only one time.
Applications must include:
- Application cover sheet
- A proposal for a project for the semester that will directly enhance the applicant's qualifications and performance as Academic Support Staff at Penn, especially with regard to teaching.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or Program Director. The letter should address anticipated essential teaching replacement needs; any requests for replacement funds will be considered by the Dean's Office in accordance with the SAS leave replacement policy.